Jun 17, 2013, 6:26 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers might just part ways with two of their splashiest moves this summer, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that GM Paul Holmgren has stopped throwing caution to the wind.
Whenever Mark Streit‘s contract becomes official, it’s also a 35+ deal, which means the Flyers are stuck with what is expected to be a $5.25 million salary cap hit even if he retires before it expires.*
They won’t be able to pawn his deal off on another team unless the 35-year-old approves, either. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal will include a no-trade clause with a list of teams he would accept being dealt to.
The size of that list isn’t clear yet, which makes sense since the sides need to wait to make it official anyway.
To add a little drama, it appears that this move cements the notion that the team will use its two compliance buyouts on Ilya Bryzgalov and Daniel Briere. (Both Dreger and Bob McKenzie rank among the many making that argument.)
It just goes to show you: the Flyers entertain during these summer months even when they miss the playoffs altogether.
* – The team has seen how a good defenseman’s deal can turn into an albatross with Chris Pronger, so the organization must hope that history doesn’t repeat itself.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)