Jun 17, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers might just part ways with two of their splashiest moves this summer, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that GM Paul Holmgren has stopped throwing caution to the wind.
Whenever Mark Streit‘s contract becomes official, it’s also a 35+ deal, which means the Flyers are stuck with what is expected to be a $5.25 million salary cap hit even if he retires before it expires.*
They won’t be able to pawn his deal off on another team unless the 35-year-old approves, either. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal will include a no-trade clause with a list of teams he would accept being dealt to.
The size of that list isn’t clear yet, which makes sense since the sides need to wait to make it official anyway.
To add a little drama, it appears that this move cements the notion that the team will use its two compliance buyouts on Ilya Bryzgalov and Daniel Briere. (Both Dreger and Bob McKenzie rank among the many making that argument.)
It just goes to show you: the Flyers entertain during these summer months even when they miss the playoffs altogether.
* – The team has seen how a good defenseman’s deal can turn into an albatross with Chris Pronger, so the organization must hope that history doesn’t repeat itself.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)