Jun 17, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers might just part ways with two of their splashiest moves this summer, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that GM Paul Holmgren has stopped throwing caution to the wind.
Whenever Mark Streit‘s contract becomes official, it’s also a 35+ deal, which means the Flyers are stuck with what is expected to be a $5.25 million salary cap hit even if he retires before it expires.*
They won’t be able to pawn his deal off on another team unless the 35-year-old approves, either. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal will include a no-trade clause with a list of teams he would accept being dealt to.
The size of that list isn’t clear yet, which makes sense since the sides need to wait to make it official anyway.
To add a little drama, it appears that this move cements the notion that the team will use its two compliance buyouts on Ilya Bryzgalov and Daniel Briere. (Both Dreger and Bob McKenzie rank among the many making that argument.)
It just goes to show you: the Flyers entertain during these summer months even when they miss the playoffs altogether.
* – The team has seen how a good defenseman’s deal can turn into an albatross with Chris Pronger, so the organization must hope that history doesn’t repeat itself.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 3
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 5
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)