Jun 17, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers might just part ways with two of their splashiest moves this summer, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that GM Paul Holmgren has stopped throwing caution to the wind.
Whenever Mark Streit‘s contract becomes official, it’s also a 35+ deal, which means the Flyers are stuck with what is expected to be a $5.25 million salary cap hit even if he retires before it expires.*
They won’t be able to pawn his deal off on another team unless the 35-year-old approves, either. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal will include a no-trade clause with a list of teams he would accept being dealt to.
The size of that list isn’t clear yet, which makes sense since the sides need to wait to make it official anyway.
To add a little drama, it appears that this move cements the notion that the team will use its two compliance buyouts on Ilya Bryzgalov and Daniel Briere. (Both Dreger and Bob McKenzie rank among the many making that argument.)
It just goes to show you: the Flyers entertain during these summer months even when they miss the playoffs altogether.
* - The team has seen how a good defenseman’s deal can turn into an albatross with Chris Pronger, so the organization must hope that history doesn’t repeat itself.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 1
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 22
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)