Jun 17, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers might just part ways with two of their splashiest moves this summer, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that GM Paul Holmgren has stopped throwing caution to the wind.
Whenever Mark Streit‘s contract becomes official, it’s also a 35+ deal, which means the Flyers are stuck with what is expected to be a $5.25 million salary cap hit even if he retires before it expires.*
They won’t be able to pawn his deal off on another team unless the 35-year-old approves, either. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the deal will include a no-trade clause with a list of teams he would accept being dealt to.
The size of that list isn’t clear yet, which makes sense since the sides need to wait to make it official anyway.
To add a little drama, it appears that this move cements the notion that the team will use its two compliance buyouts on Ilya Bryzgalov and Daniel Briere. (Both Dreger and Bob McKenzie rank among the many making that argument.)
It just goes to show you: the Flyers entertain during these summer months even when they miss the playoffs altogether.
* – The team has seen how a good defenseman’s deal can turn into an albatross with Chris Pronger, so the organization must hope that history doesn’t repeat itself.
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs Day at PHT 0
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 19
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 40
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 35
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)