Jun 17, 2013, 8:05 AM EDT
Game 3: Boston Bruins host Chicago Blackhawks (8:00 p.m. ET — NBCSN/Live Extra)
Series is tied at 1-1
You know two teams are evenly match when they play 185:53 minutes in just two games. However, the fact is that the Boston Bruins now have a slight edge by virtue of having more home games left. The Bruins haven’t lost a game at TD Garden since the first round, but that streak will have to end in order for Chicago to win the Cup.
“We’re extremely excited about the challenge,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said. “We went into Detroit, knew we had to win a game. We put ourselves in a tough spot there. We’re excited about being on the road.”
They’re in this spot because the Blackhawks weren’t able to maintain the same level of pressure throughout Game 2. Chicago came out firing on all cylinders in the first period, but Boston goaltender Tuukka Rask stood tall and held Chicago to just one goal on 19 shots through 20 minutes.
If not for Rask’s contributions, the Bruins might have been out of the game early. Performances like that have become the norm for him in the postseason though. With a 1.73 GAA and .944 save percentage in 18 starts, he’s drawing comparisons to what Tim Thomas did for the Bruins during their 2011 Stanley Cup-winning run.
“I think it’s just as good. No doubt,” Bruins coach Claude Julien said. “Tim has been a great goaltender for us. When you lose a guy like that, there’s always that fear that you’re not going to be able to replace him.
“Tuukka’s done an outstanding job. To me, he’s been as much of a contributor to our team as Tim was two years ago.”
Rask kept the potential for a comeback alive, but you also have to credit the rest of the team for evening the series. Chris Kelly scored his first goal of the playoffs and Daniel Paille netted the overtime winner, once again highlighting the scoring depth of this team.
Secondary scoring is one area the Blackhawks need to match Boston in, especially seeing as Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, and Marian Hossa have combined for no goals and two assists in the Stanley Cup Final. That might motivate them to insert in Viktor Stalberg for Brandon Bollig after the latter logged a team-low 8:42 minutes and had a minus-one rating in Game 2.
“(Stalberg) could play,” Quenneville said when asked about the possible switch yesterday.
A move like that might be seen as a minor change, but in a battle of inches, everything matters.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
That’s bad defending.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Pittsburgh lost to Philadelphia on Wednesday.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 9:23 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He’s having a “down year,” apparently.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT
Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Just 12 forwards, and five defensemen.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
“It was vicious, and it deserves to be penalized.”
Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Has been playing in Finland this season.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Click for all the odds.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Certainly better than they were in February.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Wouldn’t be great news for the Kings.
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)