Jun 17, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
If you’ve followed high-end 2013 NHL Draft prospect Nathan MacKinnon’s story at all, you probably know that he comes from Cole Harbour, Novia Scotia, just like Sidney Crosby.
It might as well be the first line of any scouting report for MacKinnon.
The budding star didn’t distance himself from the connection, telling The Star that he owes a lot to the 25-year-old Pittsburgh Penguins captain.
“He didn’t know if he could (make it) being from a small town,” MacKinnon said of Crosby. “For me, I looked at him, and said if he could do it, I could do it as well. He paved the way for kids from small towns.”
Still, MacKinnon said that Crosby is “on another level,” so he needed individual moments to feel like he belonged at the highest level of competition.
“The first time I realized I could make it, I went to Toronto when I was 9 or 10 in tournaments,” said MacKinnon.
“You kind of realize you can play with those guys. I was doing well against Toronto kids. You know their track record. That’s when I figured I could play. I know I was young but I got focused on the NHL.”
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 29
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 46
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 16
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 32
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 49
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 49
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 48
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)