Jun 17, 2013, 8:16 PM EDT
It turns out the biggest change for the Chicago Blackhawks won’t be Viktor Stalberg‘s return to the lineup for Brandon Bollig in Game 3. The Blackhawks confirm that Marian Hossa will be out of action on Monday, making way for Ben Smith.
No word yet on what, exactly, is bothering the 34-year-old. Still, if it’s something that’s keeping him out of a contest in the 2013 Stanley Cup Final, it must be a big deal.
(Rumor has it that “something” happened to Hossa during the pre-game.)
Smith, 24, played in one regular season game (April 27) this season, scoring a goal. (That was the contest where the Blackhawks paraded out a bunch of youngsters against the St. Louis Blues.)
In other news, Milan Lucic and Zdeno Chara collided in the pre-game skate on the Boston Bruins side. We’ll see if either of those big bodies are affected by that mishap. Chara left the ice, but seems primed to play nonetheless.
Here’s video of the collision:
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 0
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 7
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 39
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 48
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (49)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)