Jun 17, 2013, 11:20 PM EST
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville updated Marian Hossa‘s status: he’s considered day-to-day with an upper-body injury. He hopes the star winger will be available for Game 4 on Wednesday, but that’s unclear at this time.
People were stunned that Marian Hossa sat out Game 3 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final, but Blackhawks teammates Jonathan Toews and Patrick Sharp knew it was possible, Mark Lazerus of Chicago Sun-Times reports. Quenneville said he was a “game-time decision” heading into the game.
Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien wasn’t in the know, however, stating that “he was as surprised as anyone” that Hossa wouldn’t play.
Many wondered if Hossa, 34, was hit by a puck during the pre-game skate but Quenneville shot that notion down.
He explained that Ben Smith was added in his place in hopes of replacing at least some of Hossa’s scoring.
That didn’t work out on a team-wide level, obviously, as the Boston Bruins shut them out 2-0 in Game 3 on Monday.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)