Jun 17, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville updated Marian Hossa‘s status: he’s considered day-to-day with an upper-body injury. He hopes the star winger will be available for Game 4 on Wednesday, but that’s unclear at this time.
People were stunned that Marian Hossa sat out Game 3 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final, but Blackhawks teammates Jonathan Toews and Patrick Sharp knew it was possible, Mark Lazerus of Chicago Sun-Times reports. Quenneville said he was a “game-time decision” heading into the game.
Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien wasn’t in the know, however, stating that “he was as surprised as anyone” that Hossa wouldn’t play.
Many wondered if Hossa, 34, was hit by a puck during the pre-game skate but Quenneville shot that notion down.
He explained that Ben Smith was added in his place in hopes of replacing at least some of Hossa’s scoring.
That didn’t work out on a team-wide level, obviously, as the Boston Bruins shut them out 2-0 in Game 3 on Monday.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)