Jets speak with Kane about ‘making better decisions on social media and Twitter’

Jun 17, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT

Evander Kane

The Winnipeg Jets have spoken to their talented, young forward, Evander Kane, about his latest Twitter controversy, this one coming last week when he tweeted what many perceived as a homophobic slur.

Kane apologized for the tweet; however, Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff and team co-owner Mark Chipman still took the time to have an in-person chat with the 22-year-old, per the Winnipeg Free Press.

“Our collective goal is to work with Evander, to offer him counsel on making better decisions on social media and Twitter,” Jets spokesman Scott Brown said.

1. 950003cups - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Too much Political Correctness going on. The guy used the word “fairy” and jerkoffs got all up in arms. Just cause he said the guy hits like a fairy, doesn’t mean the guy goes to bed with other men. It just means he hits like a fairy.

I hate libs. They’re going too far these days.

• valarmorghuliss - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Talk about a massively stupid comment. I guess it’s being too PC if people get upset if I call Evander a monkey.

It just means he’s a primate right?

• bosoxfanpeds - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Trade’m to the Bruins….

• DonkeyStick - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I’ve called Chara an oversized gorilla many times and never thought of it as a racial comment

• iwillfindyou - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:02 PM

valarmorghuliss is obviously a PC liberal as well. Stop being such a fairy.

• valarmorghuliss - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Stop being a hypocrite and sign up and serve your country.

• iwillfindyou - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I’ll serve your mother’s pu$$y with my fat coc*.

• valarmorghuliss - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM

exactly what I expected

• wingsdjy - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I just assumed that Kane had a bad taste in movies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooth_Fairy_(2010_film)

• bosoxfanpeds - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Evander Kane ought to be punished trade’m to the Bruins……

2. drubyy1993 - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM

@valarmorghuliss theres a difference between saying someone hits like a fairy and being racist

• hockey412 - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM

There might be a point to that. But when you are in one moment accusing others of being racist (i.e. his “because I’m black” comments) and on the other hand using culturally ‘insensitive’ words of your own, maybe it’s time to step out of the spotlight.

• valarmorghuliss - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM

LOL at you and others who think there is a difference. There is no difference between slurs in reference to ones sexuality, religion or race. Not to the people who have to read or listen to them.

3. govtminion - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM

“We’ve come up with a solution… We’re going to use this hammer to break both of your thumbs so you can’t type on your phone, and you should be healed up in time for training camp. Hold out your hands, please- oh, yes, this is in your contract, promise!”

4. trbowman - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Nothing worse than when people are guilted or shamed into making a BS apology.

• hockey412 - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I agree – but when it’s the people that seek the attention/affection of the masses by using tools like Twitter to broadcast every thought out loud to millions, then I’m all for it.

• ibieiniid - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I’ve made it clear that I think being offended by this one might be taking sensitivity a bit too far, but your priorities are ridiculously skewed if you think there’s nothing worse than having to say sorry for offending somebody. he admitted that the word he used may have some gay connotations, and apologized for the unfortunate usage. I don’t see how that’s ruining his life. chances are, he didn’t mean to offend anybody, and therefore apologized that his words may have done so. just because you don’t care about others’ feelings and your apology, had you been in his position, would have been BS doesn’t mean that his was.

5. titansbro - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM

This kid has proven to be a turd but this is ridiculous. Gays are likened to fairies because some of them are feminine. But calling someone a fairy is not calling them gay just calling them feminine. And I AM a liberal.

• peterbuelow - Jun 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM

This may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. And I just finished reading Ms Utah’s response from the Ms. USA pageant last night. I like that you say it with some confidence, though, like there’s worlds of evidence to back these statements up. Are all women fairies?

• peterbuelow - Jun 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Even better…

titansbro, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• DonkeyStick - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I remember this was funny the first time someone posted it 14 years ago

6. charliereno - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Since when is ‘fairy’ a gay connotation? I’ve always associated ‘fairy’ with terms such as pu$$y, b!tch, or sissy, but never as a gay slur. This is laughable, much like Kane’s haircuts.

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jun 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Doea it matter…. It is a gay slur. So, Kane used a gay slur. Period. Now if you want to debate whether or not fairy should or should not be a gay slur then that’s a different conversation.

7. Habib Marwan - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM

the whole thought of twitter even existing, and let alone allowing ” professional” athletes to post on it is what’s laughable

• hockeyflow33 - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM

No kidding, it’s not like it’s been proven useful in political uprisings and natural disasters all over the globe.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches