Jun 17, 2013, 1:58 PM EST
Just thought we’d pass along this note the NHL sent along this morning in its daily “Stanley Cup of Joe” email to the media:
* Teams winning Game 3 after splitting the first two games of the Final have gone on to win the Stanley Cup 21 of 25 times (84.0%) since the Final adopted the best-of-seven format beginning in 1939.
* The four teams in that scenario to win the Stanley Cup after losing Game 3 were the 1964 Maple Leafs (seven games), 1989 Flames (six games), 1991 Penguins (six games) and 2004 Lightning (seven games).
* This marks the first split in the opening two games of the Stanley Cup Final since 2004, when Calgary won the first game on the road and Tampa Bay came back to win Game 2.
Admittedly, the 84% stat lacks context. The Bruins and Blackhawks have been remarkably evenly matched so far. Whoever wins tonight will still have a lot of work to do.
In other words, it’s a bit different than, say, 1979 — the last Original Six match-up in the Stanley Cup Final — when the Rangers won Game 1 in Montreal, then lost the next four to one of the greatest collections of players ever assembled.
Still a big game though. It’s a best-of-five now.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:55 PM EST
He finished the game with four points.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
Good news for Nashville.
Dec 7, 2013, 4:48 PM EST
After 20 seasons, this could be it.
Dec 7, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
He had three head or neck injuries last season.
Dec 7, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
He’s battled injuries the past two seasons.
Dec 7, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
He was their fourth-round pick in 2009.
Dec 7, 2013, 1:08 PM EST
He was the Panthers’ all-time leader in assists.
Dec 7, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Losing blue liners is not optimal.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
It’s getting grumpy in Winnipeg.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:02 AM EST
That’s a big sigh of relief for Boston.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
It’s all about the chances.
Dec 7, 2013, 12:15 AM EST
Jean-Sebastien Giguere remains undefeated.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:59 PM EST
Watch the video to decide for yourself.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Blackhawks have now lost three in a row.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Tough two days for San Jose.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Next summer, they’ll be talking about shrinking goalie sweaters.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
Phoenix goes to Vancouver shorthanded.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
Columbus dominated Minnesota 4-0 on Friday.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Recalled forward Zach Boychuk played Friday.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:28 PM EST
After 15 seasons and two Stanley Cup victories.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)