Jun 16, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
Kings defenseman Slava Voynov is getting set to cash in on his breakout season.
The 23 year-old blue liner is set to become a restricted free agent in a few weeks but L.A. general manager Dean Lombardi is trying to make sure he stays in Southern California for a little while longer.
“Slava is in contract talks with Los Angeles and we should come to an agreement in the very near future,” said Tyzhnykh, suggesting Voynov will not sign with his hometown Traktor Chelyabinsk, which offered him a deal to return to Russia earlier this week.
Ah yes, the ever-present threat of going to the KHL.
Considering Voynov had a career-high 25 points (6 goals, 19 assists) in a shortened season this year and then scored six more goals and 13 points in the playoffs, he’s got a healthy payday coming from either league. Rosen suggests Voynov could make anywhere between $3.5 million and $5 million per season on a new deal.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 14
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)