Jun 16, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
Kings defenseman Slava Voynov is getting set to cash in on his breakout season.
The 23 year-old blue liner is set to become a restricted free agent in a few weeks but L.A. general manager Dean Lombardi is trying to make sure he stays in Southern California for a little while longer.
“Slava is in contract talks with Los Angeles and we should come to an agreement in the very near future,” said Tyzhnykh, suggesting Voynov will not sign with his hometown Traktor Chelyabinsk, which offered him a deal to return to Russia earlier this week.
Ah yes, the ever-present threat of going to the KHL.
Considering Voynov had a career-high 25 points (6 goals, 19 assists) in a shortened season this year and then scored six more goals and 13 points in the playoffs, he’s got a healthy payday coming from either league. Rosen suggests Voynov could make anywhere between $3.5 million and $5 million per season on a new deal.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)