Jun 16, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
Kings defenseman Slava Voynov is getting set to cash in on his breakout season.
The 23 year-old blue liner is set to become a restricted free agent in a few weeks but L.A. general manager Dean Lombardi is trying to make sure he stays in Southern California for a little while longer.
“Slava is in contract talks with Los Angeles and we should come to an agreement in the very near future,” said Tyzhnykh, suggesting Voynov will not sign with his hometown Traktor Chelyabinsk, which offered him a deal to return to Russia earlier this week.
Ah yes, the ever-present threat of going to the KHL.
Considering Voynov had a career-high 25 points (6 goals, 19 assists) in a shortened season this year and then scored six more goals and 13 points in the playoffs, he’s got a healthy payday coming from either league. Rosen suggests Voynov could make anywhere between $3.5 million and $5 million per season on a new deal.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 40
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 89
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 101
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (107)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (101)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (90)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)