Jun 16, 2013, 7:40 PM EST
The New York Islanders are reportedly trying to bring prospect Kirill Petrov back from the KHL, by offering him a guaranteed roster spot.
Petrov’s agent Alexander Tyzhnykh told Russian-based R-Sport that the Islanders are looking to Petrov back to the NHL when his contract with Kazan Ak-Bars expires a year from now.
“We are in close contact with them and they are expecting Petrov,” Tyzhnykh told R-Sport.
“And they are not just expecting him, but they are ready to guarantee him a place in the roster now.
“His contract with Ak Bars is valid for one more year and he has to work it out…We’ll see what will happen afterwards. Petrov is turning into a leader of the Kazan team, so let’s not jump too far ahead.”
Petrov is a third-round selection of the Islanders from the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Petrov scored 12 goals and had 20 points in 47 regular season games with Kazan. He then put up five points in 18 playoff games.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)