Jun 16, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
The New York Islanders are reportedly trying to bring prospect Kirill Petrov back from the KHL, by offering him a guaranteed roster spot.
Petrov’s agent Alexander Tyzhnykh told Russian-based R-Sport that the Islanders are looking to Petrov back to the NHL when his contract with Kazan Ak-Bars expires a year from now.
“We are in close contact with them and they are expecting Petrov,” Tyzhnykh told R-Sport.
“And they are not just expecting him, but they are ready to guarantee him a place in the roster now.
“His contract with Ak Bars is valid for one more year and he has to work it out…We’ll see what will happen afterwards. Petrov is turning into a leader of the Kazan team, so let’s not jump too far ahead.”
Petrov is a third-round selection of the Islanders from the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Petrov scored 12 goals and had 20 points in 47 regular season games with Kazan. He then put up five points in 18 playoff games.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)