Ovechkin credits Oates for MVP win, says foot is healing fine

Jun 16, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin AP

Alex Ovechkin taking home his third career Hart Trophy yesterday may have been seen as an upset by some, but for the Russian superstar he says he wouldn’t have done it without Adam Oates.

In speaking on a conference call today, Ovechkin says he put all his faith into Oates to lead him right, especially when moving from left wing to right wing.

“I told him, ‘Thank you very much.’ I’m just happy because, again, it’s history. It means a lot for me. It’s history,” Ovechkin said.

“I tell Adam I’m going to go along with you starting the first day. I tell him, ‘I trust you.’ He said, ‘Okay, just listen to me and you are going to be okay.’ I listened to him. Right now almost — I’m okay.”

Oates has been Ovechkin’s biggest supporter as well this season and what one was able to do for the other is evident. After the “good old days” under Bruce Boudreau to the rough time he had with Dale Hunter, it’s fun to see Ovechkin find a new buddy in Adam Oates.

As for the hairline fracture in his foot, Ovechkin says it’s healing just fine.

“Foot is okay. Right now I’m working fine. I’m going to start playing tennis soon. I’m going to be in good shape.”

Latest Posts
  1. Fallen Leaf: Lupul (broken hand) out indefinitely

Oct 31, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v New York Islanders Getty Images

Meanwhile, sounds like Carter Ashton makes his season debut.

2. Bolts reassign Paquette, Callahan to return?

Oct 31, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT

Ryan Callahan Getty Images

Could play Saturday against Washington.

3. Bruins coach praises Sabres, who ‘came to play’

Oct 31, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

At the same time, Claude Julien admits the B’s “are still trying to find that confidence level that comes with winning on a regular basis.”

4. Sabres GM can ‘start thinking more about’ Zadorov situation now

Oct 31, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT

Nikita Zadorov Getty Images

“I just haven’t come to that decision yet.”

5. ‘Svenmania’ a distant memory as Flames’ Baertschi struggles in the AHL

Oct 31, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT

Sven Baertschi AP

Former 13th overall pick doesn’t want to comment on trade rumors.

6. Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering

Oct 31, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT

Thomas Vanek, Jan Hejda AP

“He was the bettor. He bet on football games.” And that, according to Steve Bartlett, is all he did.

7. With healthy Rinne, Preds off to great start

Oct 31, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT

Pekka Rinne Getty Images

We’d say we were surprised, but we totally thought this could happen.

8. Sounds like Semin will be a healthy scratch Saturday

Oct 31, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT

Alexander Semin, David Perron AP

Hurricanes forward was benched Tuesday in Vancouver.

9. Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively

Oct 31, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT

New York Islanders v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

“We’ve given up a lot of goals and we need to be better, help our goaltenders out.”

10. After three-game stint, Chicago sends Darling back to minors

Oct 31, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT

Scott Darling AP

Antti Raanta retains the backup gig behind Corey Crawford.

11. Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay

Oct 31, 2014, 10:58 AM EDT

Buffalo Sabres v Anaheim Ducks Buffalo Sabres v Anaheim Ducks

As most expected they’d do with the No. 2 overall pick.

Worst team in the NHL?