Ovechkin credits Oates for MVP win, says foot is healing fine

Jun 16, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin AP

Alex Ovechkin taking home his third career Hart Trophy yesterday may have been seen as an upset by some, but for the Russian superstar he says he wouldn’t have done it without Adam Oates.

In speaking on a conference call today, Ovechkin says he put all his faith into Oates to lead him right, especially when moving from left wing to right wing.

“I told him, ‘Thank you very much.’ I’m just happy because, again, it’s history. It means a lot for me. It’s history,” Ovechkin said.

“I tell Adam I’m going to go along with you starting the first day. I tell him, ‘I trust you.’ He said, ‘Okay, just listen to me and you are going to be okay.’ I listened to him. Right now almost — I’m okay.”

Oates has been Ovechkin’s biggest supporter as well this season and what one was able to do for the other is evident. After the “good old days” under Bruce Boudreau to the rough time he had with Dale Hunter, it’s fun to see Ovechkin find a new buddy in Adam Oates.

As for the hairline fracture in his foot, Ovechkin says it’s healing just fine.

“Foot is okay. Right now I’m working fine. I’m going to start playing tennis soon. I’m going to be in good shape.”

1. girouxed - Jun 16, 2013 at 12:26 PM

хорошая работа. Good work comrade

2. blomfeld - Jun 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM

“If our salaries get slashed, I’ll have to think about whether to return to NHL” … Ovechkin @ September 19, 2012

FOOT IS OKAY … BUT HEAD STILL BROKEN

It’s almost too funny when you consider how this callous and ‘heartless’ neanderthal, who only months ago threatened his employer and many adoring fans with abandonment, now comes along and is presented with the HART Trophy itself ! Truth be known, there is only one trophy left in hockey today that really matters and that’s the Stanley Cup. Everything else has become pure flotsam and those who win such awards are more often than not flotsam themselves …

Person A: excuse me, but as of today (6/16/13) who exactly are the reigning Stanley Cup champs ?

Person B: why that would be none other than the glorious Kings of Los Angeles !

Person A: thanks a lot, I didn’t know that …

Person B: You got it Pontiac ! :)

• taintedlombardis - Jun 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM

When you’re the best, you’re the best. Ovechkin owes the NHL nothing.

• blomfeld - Jun 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM

“Ovechkin owes the NHL nothing” …

and to think that people actually wonder what’s wrong with today’s generation ? … very sad

• jpelle82 - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM

nah nothing. fortune, fame, employment, entrepreneurial opportunities, endorsements. he doesnt owe the nhl anything, you’re right. you forget who pays his salary maybe? its you the fan….in case you didnt know or skipped economics 101.

• sjsblitz - Jun 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM

BLOMFIELD!!!! Was looking for you buddy all throughout that SJ series and Chicago series!

• blomfeld - Jun 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Achtung Sjsblitz !

Friend, I’ve been here all along, even though my written & musical ‘offerings’ have been scaled back due to personal time constraints. Nonetheless, we Kings put up one heckuva fight and our ship went down ‘gloriously’ with all hands ‘fighting to the last’ at their stations! The same was also true for your excellent Sharks, who I count as my second favorite team after the Kings! :)

Next year we Kings & Sharks are coming for all of you people !!!!!!!!!!!!

• holtbeast - Jun 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Not ‘everything’ that you ‘say’ has to be ‘in’ quotes.

• blomfeld - Jun 16, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Yes “it” does !

• babykaby - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM

blomfeld, don’t you have any other things to do in your life besides post your pathetic and hate-filled comments on this website. You and your buddy jpelle82 are so filled with hate it amaxes me.

It’s funny though, when you talk about Ovechkin, you don’t include the positive things that he has said, such as, he loves Russia, but his soul is in DC. That he always gives credit to his teammates for anything he accomplishes.

I don’t understand how anyone who likes ice hockey can hold such hatred for a player that has such enthusiasm, love and passion for the game.

Oh, btw, Ovechkin has brought in so may new fans with his play, sold so much nhl merchandise with his name, and single handedly renewed a franchise that he has repaid the nhl tenfold what he has been paid salary. So no, he owes the nhl nothing.

3. jrocknstuff - Jun 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM

When your employer comes to you and tells you he is going to cut your salary are you going to stay there or go somewhere else where they’re offering you more money to do the same work?

Think before you post

• blomfeld - Jun 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM

When you have an upset or disagreement with your wife, is the answer to go and have an affair with another woman? … of course not. I would submit to you that Ovechkin is a childish & selfish ‘financial’ prostitute who knows nothing about such ‘radical and novel’ concepts like loyalty, trust and honor.

• cobra617 - Jun 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

What a stupid analogy. The previous post gives the perfect example of a situation at work and your response is to compare this to a marriage?
        No, you compare this to work since well, this is their job. What sort of idiot comes up with comparing a player as an employee of an organization to a marriage?

If my employer comes to me and threatens to cut my salary, you can bet I will look for another job. I guess that I am not loyal to my employer.

So players should get paid less because of your “radical and novel” concept that I’ll call stupidity? Players have a very finite window to earn what they can. They need to get paid top dollar. If the difference in pay is trivial, then maybe you can make an argument.

You can hate on the guy all you want. It is hysterical to see the haters blow their minds over his 3rd Hart. You bust his chops over his play. When that argument doesn’t pan out, you resort to other means. A financial prostitute? That is what you come up with? You are insane.

• blomfeld - Jun 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Cobra617 – What’s ‘stupid’ my friend is someone writing out some stupid long winded comment, when they could have simply made their point with three simple words … Bah Bah Bah !

** Ovechkin is an overrated ‘hot dog’ and his dwindling herd of fans are blind sheep **

• jpelle82 - Jun 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM

he has a contract with washington. a marriage is considered a contract as well by many. seems like a pretty good analogy to me.

4. stunzeed5 - Jun 16, 2013 at 2:52 PM

well deserved GREAT8

5. pitpenguinsrulez - Jun 16, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Team Trophies > Player Trophies
    Crosby > Ovie

• cobra617 - Jun 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Go back to spanking it over Crosby’s picture.

• taintedlombardis - Jun 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I don’t know,why, but this juvenile comment made me laugh. Must have been the timing.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. S. Bennett (1312)
  2. S. Crosby (1282)
  3. N. Niederreiter (1147)
  4. P. Rinne (1146)