Jun 16, 2013, 2:06 PM EST
When you take a look at how the goaltenders have played in the Stanley Cup Final, it’s hard not to marvel at how well they’ve done.
Bruins coach Claude Julien was asked today how Tuukka Rask‘s play compares to Tim Thomas’ play in 2011 and he said there are strong similarities.
“I think it’s just as good. No doubt,” Julien said. “Tim has been a great goaltender for us. When you lose a guy like that, there’s always that fear that you’re not going to be able to replace him.
“Tuukka’s done an outstanding job. To me, he’s been as much of a contributor to our team as Tim was two years ago.”
Considering that Thomas’ play was so good he won the Conn Smythe Trophy during the Bruins’ run two years ago, that’s pretty high praise. The scary truth? Rask has been better than Thomas.
Thomas posted a 1.98 goals-against average and a .940 save percentage then. Currently, Rask has a 1.78 GAA and a .944 SV%. If Boston comes away with the Stanley Cup again this year, Rask will likely match Thomas with a Conn Smythe of his own.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)