Jun 16, 2013, 2:06 PM EST
When you take a look at how the goaltenders have played in the Stanley Cup Final, it’s hard not to marvel at how well they’ve done.
Bruins coach Claude Julien was asked today how Tuukka Rask‘s play compares to Tim Thomas’ play in 2011 and he said there are strong similarities.
“I think it’s just as good. No doubt,” Julien said. “Tim has been a great goaltender for us. When you lose a guy like that, there’s always that fear that you’re not going to be able to replace him.
“Tuukka’s done an outstanding job. To me, he’s been as much of a contributor to our team as Tim was two years ago.”
Considering that Thomas’ play was so good he won the Conn Smythe Trophy during the Bruins’ run two years ago, that’s pretty high praise. The scary truth? Rask has been better than Thomas.
Thomas posted a 1.98 goals-against average and a .940 save percentage then. Currently, Rask has a 1.78 GAA and a .944 SV%. If Boston comes away with the Stanley Cup again this year, Rask will likely match Thomas with a Conn Smythe of his own.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)