Jun 16, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
When you take a look at how the goaltenders have played in the Stanley Cup Final, it’s hard not to marvel at how well they’ve done.
Bruins coach Claude Julien was asked today how Tuukka Rask‘s play compares to Tim Thomas’ play in 2011 and he said there are strong similarities.
“I think it’s just as good. No doubt,” Julien said. “Tim has been a great goaltender for us. When you lose a guy like that, there’s always that fear that you’re not going to be able to replace him.
“Tuukka’s done an outstanding job. To me, he’s been as much of a contributor to our team as Tim was two years ago.”
Considering that Thomas’ play was so good he won the Conn Smythe Trophy during the Bruins’ run two years ago, that’s pretty high praise. The scary truth? Rask has been better than Thomas.
Thomas posted a 1.98 goals-against average and a .940 save percentage then. Currently, Rask has a 1.78 GAA and a .944 SV%. If Boston comes away with the Stanley Cup again this year, Rask will likely match Thomas with a Conn Smythe of his own.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)