Jun 16, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks are in the Stanley Cup Final, yet both clubs faced their own separate demise in these playoffs.
The Bruins trailed the Toronto Maple Leafs by three goals in Game 7 of the first round, and the Blackhawks were down 3-1 to the Detroit Red Wings in the second round.
Yet, here they are, in what has become a best-of-five final, with the series tied 1-1 following the Bruins overtime victory on Saturday.
In fact, this series has been a testament to the difficulties of playoff hockey, and the perseverance needed to win. Both games have needed overtime to determine a winner, with the first game going three extra periods.
“Well, I think the championship teams, usually when there is adversity, they embrace it, they have fun with it. They’re just
looking for the challenge,” Blackkhawks forward Michal Handzus told reporters.
“I think you need that. It’s a long road to win the Stanley Cup. It’s four games. You get a lot of adversity, tough moments. You have to have fun with it, look at it as a challenge.
“I think that’s what you need to go forward.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)