Jun 16, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks are in the Stanley Cup Final, yet both clubs faced their own separate demise in these playoffs.
The Bruins trailed the Toronto Maple Leafs by three goals in Game 7 of the first round, and the Blackhawks were down 3-1 to the Detroit Red Wings in the second round.
Yet, here they are, in what has become a best-of-five final, with the series tied 1-1 following the Bruins overtime victory on Saturday.
In fact, this series has been a testament to the difficulties of playoff hockey, and the perseverance needed to win. Both games have needed overtime to determine a winner, with the first game going three extra periods.
“Well, I think the championship teams, usually when there is adversity, they embrace it, they have fun with it. They’re just
looking for the challenge,” Blackkhawks forward Michal Handzus told reporters.
“I think you need that. It’s a long road to win the Stanley Cup. It’s four games. You get a lot of adversity, tough moments. You have to have fun with it, look at it as a challenge.
“I think that’s what you need to go forward.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)