Jun 16, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks are in the Stanley Cup Final, yet both clubs faced their own separate demise in these playoffs.
The Bruins trailed the Toronto Maple Leafs by three goals in Game 7 of the first round, and the Blackhawks were down 3-1 to the Detroit Red Wings in the second round.
Yet, here they are, in what has become a best-of-five final, with the series tied 1-1 following the Bruins overtime victory on Saturday.
In fact, this series has been a testament to the difficulties of playoff hockey, and the perseverance needed to win. Both games have needed overtime to determine a winner, with the first game going three extra periods.
“Well, I think the championship teams, usually when there is adversity, they embrace it, they have fun with it. They’re just
looking for the challenge,” Blackkhawks forward Michal Handzus told reporters.
“I think you need that. It’s a long road to win the Stanley Cup. It’s four games. You get a lot of adversity, tough moments. You have to have fun with it, look at it as a challenge.
“I think that’s what you need to go forward.”
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)