Bruins’ leaders deliver Stanley Cup Final speech

Jun 16, 2013, 6:48 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Toronto Maple Leafs - Game Four Getty Images

Something needed to be said.

The Boston Bruins were thoroughly outplayed in the first period of Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final on Saturday. And yet, they found themselves down a goal, after the Chicago Blackhawks registered 19 shots on goalie Tuukka Rask.

The Bruins, already trailing 1-0 in the best-of-seven series, had just four shots on net. Not good enough.

It was after the opening 20 minutes that the veterans in the locker room spoke up.

“It was really a mix of everybody saying something,” Bruins’ forward Tyler Seguin told reporters on Sunday.

“Obviously I think (Chris Kelly) was one of the most vocal guys at the time. But in the end, I think it was a mix of everyone. I definitely knew it was coming, so I definitely threw my shoulder pads in the training room and put a towel over it so no one could hear what we were saying. I think we needed that team wake-up call.”

The Bruins came out in the second period, with Kelly scoring the equalizer. And the Blackhawks were held to just 15 shots on Rask for the remainder of the game.

Daniel Paille scored the winner in overtime, and the Bruins tied the series at 1-1, as it shifts back to Boston.

Latest Posts
  1. Oilers, Flames AHL affiliates to play outdoor game

Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

gshr_raley

Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.

2. Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause

Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Patrick Kane Patrick Kane

As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.

3. Wings’ Franzen: ‘I’m excited to try to get back and have a good year’

Sep 2, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT

Johan Franzen Johan Franzen

The Swede hopes to be cleared of his latest concussion in time for the season opener.

4. Blackhawks sign Nordstrom to a one-year deal

Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.

5. After recovering from serious bike crash, Sarich holds out comeback hope

Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Calgary Flames Getty Images

“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”

6. Trade target Cowen says Sens’ support has been ‘awesome’

Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT

Jared Cowen

“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”

7. Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club

Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT

Antti Raanta Antti Raanta

He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.

8. Report: Devils captain Salvador to retire this week (Update: Official)

Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT

Bryce Salvador #24 of the New Jersey Devils skates against the New York Islanders at the Prudential Center on September 19, 2013 in Newark, New Jersey.
(September 18, 2013 - Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

After missing most of last season with a back injury.

9. Sharks to honor original owner Gund with banner

Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.

10. Canes coach Peters making tweaks with emphasis on being more dangerous offensively

Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.

11. Eichel planning to move in with Moulson

Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT

Jack Eichel Getty Images

“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”

12. Lightning’s trip to Stanley Cup Final boosts season ticket sales

Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT

Stamkos Getty Images

They had strong attendance numbers last season too.

13. St. Louis offers Upshall a professional tryout

Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT

Scottie Upshall Getty Images

The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.

14. Crosby, Toews, Weber, Price lead pack in NHL 16’s ratings

Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stadium Series - Pittsburgh Penguins v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.

15. Marchand rehabbing from offseason elbow surgery

Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT

Brad Marchand Getty Images

He played through the injury in 2014-15.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches