Bruins’ leaders deliver Stanley Cup Final speech

Jun 16, 2013, 6:48 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Toronto Maple Leafs - Game Four Getty Images

Something needed to be said.

The Boston Bruins were thoroughly outplayed in the first period of Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final on Saturday. And yet, they found themselves down a goal, after the Chicago Blackhawks registered 19 shots on goalie Tuukka Rask.

The Bruins, already trailing 1-0 in the best-of-seven series, had just four shots on net. Not good enough.

It was after the opening 20 minutes that the veterans in the locker room spoke up.

“It was really a mix of everybody saying something,” Bruins’ forward Tyler Seguin told reporters on Sunday.

“Obviously I think (Chris Kelly) was one of the most vocal guys at the time. But in the end, I think it was a mix of everyone. I definitely knew it was coming, so I definitely threw my shoulder pads in the training room and put a towel over it so no one could hear what we were saying. I think we needed that team wake-up call.”

The Bruins came out in the second period, with Kelly scoring the equalizer. And the Blackhawks were held to just 15 shots on Rask for the remainder of the game.

Daniel Paille scored the winner in overtime, and the Bruins tied the series at 1-1, as it shifts back to Boston.

1. gallyhatch - Jun 16, 2013 at 7:02 PM

The quote would make a lot more sense if the writer took the time to explain that Seguin was miked up during the game.

2. valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jun 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM

The B’s big Z seems to be running out of energy. During game 2 Chara had trouble moving his legs. All the minutes played in the playoffs are catching up to him, and Krug is giving the puck away too much. I don’t think the B’s d will be able to hold on much longer. This could be a good time to take Krug out of the line up.

• nunan - Jun 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM

“I don’t think the Bs will be able to hold on much longer”…what? There is no way, after these two games, that anyone can say one team has the major advantage over the other…if the Bs are just ‘holding on’, I like what I see…

• thesportsjudge - Jun 16, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I don’t understand all the thumbs down. I know this poster HAS said some silly things in the past, but it just seems like an honest assessment.

• ravenscaps48 - Jun 16, 2013 at 11:07 PM

HOW MANY PROFILES DO YOU HAVE, BLOMFELD?!?!

• thesportsjudge - Jun 22, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Who the fu*k is Blomfeld? Is caps in your s/n cuz your capslock is on?

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Really! I’ve said silly things! :-)

ravenscaps48, blomfeld would never say that I’ve posted silly things in the past. So, move on.

• blomfeld - Jun 17, 2013 at 2:39 PM

That’s right Ravenscrap !!!

I would ‘never’ say anything negative either ‘to or about’ my glorious friend Valoisjoeybfeld69 … and further more, anyone who does foolishly try doing that will find themselves being crushed ‘post haste’ under the heels of decency !

• pedroskybb - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I will agree that Chara seemed out of sorts last night; slow to the puck, poor decisions, indecisive, etc. I’m thinking he may be hurt. He took a nasty blow to the head during the last seconds of the game 4 scrum against Pitt., right when he makes the arm save, someone (teammate) knees him in the head.

3. fallen737 - Jun 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM

the hawks need to keep their feet moving. that was why they lost game 2. they stopped moving in the second period and that led Boston to take the momentum. Once Chicago keeps skating they have the advantage.

4. pastabelly - Jun 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

The sky is falling. The B’s couldn’t sweep the opening two games on the road. Seriously, the toughest thing is the loss of Campbell. Claude knows he can’t roll out four lines now and Peverly, Thornton, and Daugavins are seeing limited minutes.

• mjdkid100 - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

What?

5. 8man - Jun 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Damn good thing they did. I was standing during the entire first period thinking, “Damn! The Hawks aren’t just better than the Bruins. They are better than everybody!” That was some first period they had. Wow! A blitzkrieg! An onslaught!

And I asked myself in a year when the East didn’t play the West, “Is there suddenly a huge difference in strength in the conferences?”

Hawks brought it! Just glad the Bs could adjust and show the hockey world the series has a little life.

6. blomfeld - Jun 17, 2013 at 2:38 AM

ICH BIN EIN BLACK HAWK !

As an ardent and values-driven fan of the ‘current’ reigning Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings, I for one am rooting for our WC brothers to triumph over these racist neanderthals from Boston !

Chara = Return to the Planet of the Apes x 10 !

7. gingerkid2000 - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Blomfeld you’re not afraid to prove to the world you’re an idiot are you.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches