Jun 16, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
Two games into the Stanley Cup Final, and Bryan Bickell has yet to hit the score sheet for the Chicago Blackhawks.
He’s officially struggling offensively, with only a combined two shots on goal through two games.
Bickell had been on an impressive scoring pace in these playoffs, with goals in three of five games against the L.A. Kings in the Western Conference final as further proof of that.
A pending unrestricted free agent this summer, the 27-year-old Bickell is in line for a big raise from the $1.625 million-over-three-years he had previously been earning.
But for now, the Blackhawks are embattled in what could be a grueling Cup final against he Boston Bruins, and could use some of that offensive touch from Bickell, if they are to hoist their second championship in the last three years.
“I think everybody has stretches where things go well for you,” Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville told reporters.
“Everything seemed to go in for him there. Around the net, had quick hands, finding pucks. I still think he has to simplify it. Something we talked about earlier, keep the puck going forward, put it at the net, don’t have to try to make plays. When you try to make plays, the other team takes advantage of it.
“I think simplifying it will be more effective and efficient.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)