Jun 16, 2013, 12:10 AM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks enjoyed a dominant first period in Game 2, but a 1-0 lead proved insufficient. The Boston Bruins fought their way to a 2-1 OT win on Saturday, prompting Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville to lament how Chicago faded down the stretch.
“Like the second period, we lost the pace of the game in that end of the rink,” Quenneville said. “We had the perfect start to the game and then we stopped doing what made us successful. We stood around and they countered.”
That was especially true when Boston dominated OT, out-shooting Chicago 8-6 while carrying the majority of the play.
It seems as if the Blackhawks stopped playing “their game,” giving way to a grinding affair.
“I thought we slowed ourselves down; I don’t think we got the puck behind them,” Quenneville said. “I think we were in front of them too much and it played into their hands.”
” … Maybe we left something out there [in the first period].”
Of course, it could also have a lot to do with not having much left after playing nearly two full games of hockey in a triple-OT Game 1.
“I don’t think fatigue was an issue on either side,” Sharp said.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Adding to what was already a rough night for Boston and Pittsburgh.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
Meanwhile the Flyers will play in Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
They’re 14 points out of a playoff spot.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
They’re playing without Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
He would have preferred they talked about the rookie goalie that just got his first shutout.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
Reported blow to the head.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Another dirty incident.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Happened on first shift.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
‘I made a mistake’
Dec 7, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Has a history with concussions.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:11 PM EST
Taken to hospital.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:51 PM EST
Also, his views on fighting.
Dec 7, 2013, 8:22 PM EST
Some good news.
Dec 7, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 3
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 68
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 63
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 70
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (72)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) (72)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (68)