Jun 15, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
This news originally leaked on Monday, but now it’s official: Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban won the 2013 Norris Trophy, edging out Ryan Suter and Kris Letang. This makes him the first Habs blueliner to take the award since Chris Chelios did it in 1989.
That’s not bad for a guy whose season didn’t start until Feb. 2 because of a prolonged contract dispute. The 23-year-old tied Letang for the points lead among defensemen, notching 38 in 42 games. (That also ties a career-high mark he set in 77 games during the 2010-11 campaign).
Subban’s defensive play improved, as he set a career-best +12 mark and served as a go-to guy (along with Andrei Markov) on a Habs team that shocked many to win the Northeast Division and East’s second seed. Despite a first-round loss to Ottawa, Subban scored four points in five postseason games.
With the win, Subban becomes the first Habs defenseman to win the award since Chris Chelios, and will join Hockey Hall of Famers Larry Robinson, Jacques Laperriere, Tom Johnson and Doug Harvey as Montreal defensemen to win the award.
Norris Trophy Top 10 voting
1. P.K. Subban, MTL 1266 (66-56-35-12-3)
2. Ryan Suter, MIN 1230 (65-54-34-8-8)
3. Kris Letang, PIT 914 (31-37-42-39-18)
4. Francois Beauchemin, ANA 290 (1-6-20-33-39)
5. Zdeno Chara, BOS 289 (10-9-16-8-22)
6. Duncan Keith, CHI 281 (1-8-16-36-27)
7. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, PHX 79 (3-1-2-8-8)
8. Shea Weber, NSH 49 (0-1-4-5-7)
9. Drew Doughty, L.A. 43 (0-1-2-7-5)
10. Niklas Kronwall, DET 33 (0-2-1-3-5)
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)