Jun 15, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
This news originally leaked on Monday, but now it’s official: Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban won the 2013 Norris Trophy, edging out Ryan Suter and Kris Letang. This makes him the first Habs blueliner to take the award since Chris Chelios did it in 1989.
That’s not bad for a guy whose season didn’t start until Feb. 2 because of a prolonged contract dispute. The 23-year-old tied Letang for the points lead among defensemen, notching 38 in 42 games. (That also ties a career-high mark he set in 77 games during the 2010-11 campaign).
Subban’s defensive play improved, as he set a career-best +12 mark and served as a go-to guy (along with Andrei Markov) on a Habs team that shocked many to win the Northeast Division and East’s second seed. Despite a first-round loss to Ottawa, Subban scored four points in five postseason games.
With the win, Subban becomes the first Habs defenseman to win the award since Chris Chelios, and will join Hockey Hall of Famers Larry Robinson, Jacques Laperriere, Tom Johnson and Doug Harvey as Montreal defensemen to win the award.
Norris Trophy Top 10 voting
1. P.K. Subban, MTL 1266 (66-56-35-12-3)
2. Ryan Suter, MIN 1230 (65-54-34-8-8)
3. Kris Letang, PIT 914 (31-37-42-39-18)
4. Francois Beauchemin, ANA 290 (1-6-20-33-39)
5. Zdeno Chara, BOS 289 (10-9-16-8-22)
6. Duncan Keith, CHI 281 (1-8-16-36-27)
7. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, PHX 79 (3-1-2-8-8)
8. Shea Weber, NSH 49 (0-1-4-5-7)
9. Drew Doughty, L.A. 43 (0-1-2-7-5)
10. Niklas Kronwall, DET 33 (0-2-1-3-5)
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63