Jun 15, 2013, 7:32 PM EST
This news originally leaked on Monday, but now it’s official: Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban won the 2013 Norris Trophy, edging out Ryan Suter and Kris Letang. This makes him the first Habs blueliner to take the award since Chris Chelios did it in 1989.
That’s not bad for a guy whose season didn’t start until Feb. 2 because of a prolonged contract dispute. The 23-year-old tied Letang for the points lead among defensemen, notching 38 in 42 games. (That also ties a career-high mark he set in 77 games during the 2010-11 campaign).
Subban’s defensive play improved, as he set a career-best +12 mark and served as a go-to guy (along with Andrei Markov) on a Habs team that shocked many to win the Northeast Division and East’s second seed. Despite a first-round loss to Ottawa, Subban scored four points in five postseason games.
With the win, Subban becomes the first Habs defenseman to win the award since Chris Chelios, and will join Hockey Hall of Famers Larry Robinson, Jacques Laperriere, Tom Johnson and Doug Harvey as Montreal defensemen to win the award.
Norris Trophy Top 10 voting
1. P.K. Subban, MTL 1266 (66-56-35-12-3)
2. Ryan Suter, MIN 1230 (65-54-34-8-8)
3. Kris Letang, PIT 914 (31-37-42-39-18)
4. Francois Beauchemin, ANA 290 (1-6-20-33-39)
5. Zdeno Chara, BOS 289 (10-9-16-8-22)
6. Duncan Keith, CHI 281 (1-8-16-36-27)
7. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, PHX 79 (3-1-2-8-8)
8. Shea Weber, NSH 49 (0-1-4-5-7)
9. Drew Doughty, L.A. 43 (0-1-2-7-5)
10. Niklas Kronwall, DET 33 (0-2-1-3-5)
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4