Jun 15, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
Daniel Cleary could be on his way to unrestricted free agency this summer, his five-year, $14 million contract set to expire.
But, as Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports, talks between Cleary and the Red Wings are expected to “heat up in the coming days.”
Cleary turns 35 years of age in December, and is coming off a solid performance for the Red Wings in these playoffs.
In 14 games, he had four goals and 10 points – making it his best offensive post-season since 2009.
His production this spring was made more impressive by the fact Cleary was said to be playing this post-season with a second-degree shoulder separation, as well as a fractured finger.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6