Jun 15, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
Daniel Cleary could be on his way to unrestricted free agency this summer, his five-year, $14 million contract set to expire.
But, as Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports, talks between Cleary and the Red Wings are expected to “heat up in the coming days.”
Cleary turns 35 years of age in December, and is coming off a solid performance for the Red Wings in these playoffs.
In 14 games, he had four goals and 10 points – making it his best offensive post-season since 2009.
His production this spring was made more impressive by the fact Cleary was said to be playing this post-season with a second-degree shoulder separation, as well as a fractured finger.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)