Jun 15, 2013, 5:11 PM EST
Daniel Cleary could be on his way to unrestricted free agency this summer, his five-year, $14 million contract set to expire.
But, as Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports, talks between Cleary and the Red Wings are expected to “heat up in the coming days.”
Cleary turns 35 years of age in December, and is coming off a solid performance for the Red Wings in these playoffs.
In 14 games, he had four goals and 10 points – making it his best offensive post-season since 2009.
His production this spring was made more impressive by the fact Cleary was said to be playing this post-season with a second-degree shoulder separation, as well as a fractured finger.
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 0
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 12
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)