Jun 15, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
The Calgary Flames finally admitted that they’re in rebuild mode on Friday. Apparently they viewed Step 1 as “draft Seth Jones at all costs.”*
The CBC’s Elliotte Friedman reports that Calgary offered its three first-round draft picks to Colorado for the Avalanche’s No. 1 overall choice in the 2013 NHL Draft. (H/T to Lyle Richardson)
Instead, this is how things stand:
Colorado keeps the No. 1 pick in the draft.
Calgary retains its own first-rounder (No. 6 overall), the St. Louis Blues’ first-rounder thanks to the Jay Bouwmeester trade (No. 22 overall) and the Pittsburgh Penguins’ selection via the Jarome Iginla deal (No. 28 overall).
Both franchises suffered through turbulent 2013 seasons, which might explain the thought processes (though the context might make the situation worse if you disagree with one or even both of the general managers).
The Avalanche might just want to keep it simple and grab the guy they view as the best player in the draft, especially with serious front office turnover and all the bad memories of Ryan O’Reilly‘s contract negotiations.
Meanwhile, Flames GM Jay Feaster might be feeling the heat to make a splashy move considering the organization’s reluctance to acknowledge a rebuilding phase and today’s news about flirtations with Brendan Shanahan.
It’s not quite the New York Islanders essentially offering their 2012 draft crop to move up and take the Columbus Blue Jackets’ second pick, but fans of the two teams might play the “what if?” game with this rejected offer for years to come.
* – Or Nathan MacKinnon, if that’s who they really wanted.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)