Jun 15, 2013, 2:53 PM EST
After reportedly passing on the job with the Dallas Stars yesterday, word is coming out that Alain Vigneault is close to accepting an offer from the Rangers to take their head coaching job.
Renaud Lavoie from RDS says he’s on the verge of accepting the job while Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants says all signs point towards Vigneault being the Rangers’ man. Larry Brooks of the New York Post adds that a contract proposal is on the way.
TSN’s Darren Dreger adds that Vigneault had a sizable offer from the Dallas Stars until he met with the Rangers and owner Jim Dolan. Money talks, yes, but maybe money from New York talks a little louder.
Things with the Rangers have moved fast as they interviewed former captain Mark Messier about the job yesterday and he reportedly would’ve brought Brian Leetch along as an assistant. The Rangers are looking to replace John Tortorella who they fired after five seasons on the job.
UPDATE (2:35 p.m. ET): Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News says Vigneault is signing a deal with the Rangers right now.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)