Jun 15, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
After reportedly passing on the job with the Dallas Stars yesterday, word is coming out that Alain Vigneault is close to accepting an offer from the Rangers to take their head coaching job.
Renaud Lavoie from RDS says he’s on the verge of accepting the job while Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants says all signs point towards Vigneault being the Rangers’ man. Larry Brooks of the New York Post adds that a contract proposal is on the way.
TSN’s Darren Dreger adds that Vigneault had a sizable offer from the Dallas Stars until he met with the Rangers and owner Jim Dolan. Money talks, yes, but maybe money from New York talks a little louder.
Things with the Rangers have moved fast as they interviewed former captain Mark Messier about the job yesterday and he reportedly would’ve brought Brian Leetch along as an assistant. The Rangers are looking to replace John Tortorella who they fired after five seasons on the job.
UPDATE (2:35 p.m. ET): Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News says Vigneault is signing a deal with the Rangers right now.
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 5
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 35
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12