Jun 15, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
After reportedly passing on the job with the Dallas Stars yesterday, word is coming out that Alain Vigneault is close to accepting an offer from the Rangers to take their head coaching job.
Renaud Lavoie from RDS says he’s on the verge of accepting the job while Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants says all signs point towards Vigneault being the Rangers’ man. Larry Brooks of the New York Post adds that a contract proposal is on the way.
TSN’s Darren Dreger adds that Vigneault had a sizable offer from the Dallas Stars until he met with the Rangers and owner Jim Dolan. Money talks, yes, but maybe money from New York talks a little louder.
Things with the Rangers have moved fast as they interviewed former captain Mark Messier about the job yesterday and he reportedly would’ve brought Brian Leetch along as an assistant. The Rangers are looking to replace John Tortorella who they fired after five seasons on the job.
UPDATE (2:35 p.m. ET): Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News says Vigneault is signing a deal with the Rangers right now.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63