Jun 15, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
It wouldn’t count as an actual trade, but it sure might feel like it.
With former Vancouver Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault on the verge of inking a deal with the New York Rangers, it’s still possible that John Tortorella lands the vacant coaching position in Vancouver.
The Canucks fired Vigneault after getting swept out of the first round of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs. The Rangers fired the often outspoken Tortorella after New York was eliminated in the second round.
Tortorella was in Vancouver this past week for an interview, and remains a contender for the position.
Tortorella is also a polarizing individual in terms of coaching style – on and off the ice – and the prospect that he could be hired in Vancouver appropriately falls along those lines.
Here’s a snippet of what Jason Botchford of The Province newspaper wrote about this still ongoing saga. Read the full version.
Many have theorized the Tortorella off-ice factor is about the last thing the Canucks need after a season when they jumped lily pads from one crisis to another.
But the one thing Gillis is never going to accomplish with his coaching hire is winning over public opinion.
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 14
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 9
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 37
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)