Jun 15, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
It wouldn’t count as an actual trade, but it sure might feel like it.
With former Vancouver Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault on the verge of inking a deal with the New York Rangers, it’s still possible that John Tortorella lands the vacant coaching position in Vancouver.
The Canucks fired Vigneault after getting swept out of the first round of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs. The Rangers fired the often outspoken Tortorella after New York was eliminated in the second round.
Tortorella was in Vancouver this past week for an interview, and remains a contender for the position.
Tortorella is also a polarizing individual in terms of coaching style – on and off the ice – and the prospect that he could be hired in Vancouver appropriately falls along those lines.
Here’s a snippet of what Jason Botchford of The Province newspaper wrote about this still ongoing saga. Read the full version.
Many have theorized the Tortorella off-ice factor is about the last thing the Canucks need after a season when they jumped lily pads from one crisis to another.
But the one thing Gillis is never going to accomplish with his coaching hire is winning over public opinion.
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 22
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 19
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 27
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 30
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 32
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 58
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)