Jun 15, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
It wouldn’t count as an actual trade, but it sure might feel like it.
With former Vancouver Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault on the verge of inking a deal with the New York Rangers, it’s still possible that John Tortorella lands the vacant coaching position in Vancouver.
The Canucks fired Vigneault after getting swept out of the first round of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs. The Rangers fired the often outspoken Tortorella after New York was eliminated in the second round.
Tortorella was in Vancouver this past week for an interview, and remains a contender for the position.
Tortorella is also a polarizing individual in terms of coaching style – on and off the ice – and the prospect that he could be hired in Vancouver appropriately falls along those lines.
Here’s a snippet of what Jason Botchford of The Province newspaper wrote about this still ongoing saga. Read the full version.
Many have theorized the Tortorella off-ice factor is about the last thing the Canucks need after a season when they jumped lily pads from one crisis to another.
But the one thing Gillis is never going to accomplish with his coaching hire is winning over public opinion.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 19
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 17
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 17
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 13
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 30
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)