Jun 15, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
It wouldn’t count as an actual trade, but it sure might feel like it.
With former Vancouver Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault on the verge of inking a deal with the New York Rangers, it’s still possible that John Tortorella lands the vacant coaching position in Vancouver.
The Canucks fired Vigneault after getting swept out of the first round of the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs. The Rangers fired the often outspoken Tortorella after New York was eliminated in the second round.
Tortorella was in Vancouver this past week for an interview, and remains a contender for the position.
Tortorella is also a polarizing individual in terms of coaching style – on and off the ice – and the prospect that he could be hired in Vancouver appropriately falls along those lines.
Here’s a snippet of what Jason Botchford of The Province newspaper wrote about this still ongoing saga. Read the full version.
Many have theorized the Tortorella off-ice factor is about the last thing the Canucks need after a season when they jumped lily pads from one crisis to another.
But the one thing Gillis is never going to accomplish with his coaching hire is winning over public opinion.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 5
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)