Jun 15, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
Brendan Shanahan, who has held the position of NHL senior vice-president of player safety for the past two years, reportedly had dinner with Calgary Flames president and CEO Ken King on Friday.
Bob McKenzie of TSN reported on Twitter this evening that, while no job offer was made, there was a discussion.
This follows a pair of tweets yesterday from Bruce Dowbiggin, a well-known veteran sports journalist and author.
Shanahan, who played 1,524 regular season games throughout the course of his NHL career, has, the last two years, been tasked with handing out supplemental discipline for the NHL.
Accompanying the role has been the moniker of Sheriff Shanahan. Could he be on his horse out west to Calgary?
Update (9:43 p.m. ET):
From the Globe and Mail:
While a job offer was not extended to Shanahan, there was a discussion of what his role would be in “a major restructuring of the team’s front office,” according to a source.
What was outlined was as follows: Ken King would step down as team president and CEO to lead the Flames’ pursuit of a new arena; Shanahan would come aboard as director of hockey operations and would be allowed to hire his own people.
That, essentially, would position Shanahan as Jay Feaster’s boss.
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 13
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 13
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 32
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)