Jun 15, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
Brendan Shanahan, who has held the position of NHL senior vice-president of player safety for the past two years, reportedly had dinner with Calgary Flames president and CEO Ken King on Friday.
Bob McKenzie of TSN reported on Twitter this evening that, while no job offer was made, there was a discussion.
This follows a pair of tweets yesterday from Bruce Dowbiggin, a well-known veteran sports journalist and author.
Shanahan, who played 1,524 regular season games throughout the course of his NHL career, has, the last two years, been tasked with handing out supplemental discipline for the NHL.
Accompanying the role has been the moniker of Sheriff Shanahan. Could he be on his horse out west to Calgary?
Update (9:43 p.m. ET):
From the Globe and Mail:
While a job offer was not extended to Shanahan, there was a discussion of what his role would be in “a major restructuring of the team’s front office,” according to a source.
What was outlined was as follows: Ken King would step down as team president and CEO to lead the Flames’ pursuit of a new arena; Shanahan would come aboard as director of hockey operations and would be allowed to hire his own people.
That, essentially, would position Shanahan as Jay Feaster’s boss.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)