Jun 15, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
Brendan Shanahan, who has held the position of NHL senior vice-president of player safety for the past two years, reportedly had dinner with Calgary Flames president and CEO Ken King on Friday.
Bob McKenzie of TSN reported on Twitter this evening that, while no job offer was made, there was a discussion.
This follows a pair of tweets yesterday from Bruce Dowbiggin, a well-known veteran sports journalist and author.
Shanahan, who played 1,524 regular season games throughout the course of his NHL career, has, the last two years, been tasked with handing out supplemental discipline for the NHL.
Accompanying the role has been the moniker of Sheriff Shanahan. Could he be on his horse out west to Calgary?
Update (9:43 p.m. ET):
From the Globe and Mail:
While a job offer was not extended to Shanahan, there was a discussion of what his role would be in “a major restructuring of the team’s front office,” according to a source.
What was outlined was as follows: Ken King would step down as team president and CEO to lead the Flames’ pursuit of a new arena; Shanahan would come aboard as director of hockey operations and would be allowed to hire his own people.
That, essentially, would position Shanahan as Jay Feaster’s boss.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)