Jun 15, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
Brendan Shanahan, who has held the position of NHL senior vice-president of player safety for the past two years, reportedly had dinner with Calgary Flames president and CEO Ken King on Friday.
Bob McKenzie of TSN reported on Twitter this evening that, while no job offer was made, there was a discussion.
This follows a pair of tweets yesterday from Bruce Dowbiggin, a well-known veteran sports journalist and author.
Shanahan, who played 1,524 regular season games throughout the course of his NHL career, has, the last two years, been tasked with handing out supplemental discipline for the NHL.
Accompanying the role has been the moniker of Sheriff Shanahan. Could he be on his horse out west to Calgary?
Update (9:43 p.m. ET):
From the Globe and Mail:
While a job offer was not extended to Shanahan, there was a discussion of what his role would be in “a major restructuring of the team’s front office,” according to a source.
What was outlined was as follows: Ken King would step down as team president and CEO to lead the Flames’ pursuit of a new arena; Shanahan would come aboard as director of hockey operations and would be allowed to hire his own people.
That, essentially, would position Shanahan as Jay Feaster’s boss.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)