Nathan Horton cleared to play Game 2

Jun 15, 2013, 1:34 PM EDT

Nathan Horton Getty Images

Nathan Horton‘s Game 1 injury isn’t going to keep him out of Game 2.

The Bruins winger said he’s clear to play and he feels good and ready to go for tonight’s game. Bruins coach Claude Julien elaborated just a bit more on Horton’s status.

“He looks really good. He feels really good. There’s no reason for him not to go,” Julien said.

As you’ll recall, Horton was injured in the first overtime of Game 1 with an apparent shoulder injury. He reportedly has had chronic dislocation problems with the shoulder throughout the playoffs, but he says he’s not in pain now and ready to go. He skated on his usual line with David Krejci and Milan Lucic at this morning’s skate.

If the shoulder has been a consistent issue, it bears watching him to see how he handles what should be another physical game tonight.

1. bigbadbruins77 - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Wooooo!!!!

2. tjbra9 - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:02 PM

That target on his shoulder just got a whole lot bigger. Look for Horton to take a lot more hits today! The guy has heart playing hurt but like a shark, the Blackhawks smell blood in the water.

• 19to77 - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:13 PM

So you’re saying they’ll target a player’s existing injury and try to take him out of the series? What a lovely message. Didn’t know the ‘Hawks played that kind of game.

• sabatimus - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM

The Hawks would be fools not to target his shoulder.

• blackhawksdynasty - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:31 PM

EVERY team plays that way. It’s just part of the game, and the main reason coaches normally don’t specify injuries.

• mainevent7567 - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:42 PM

You mean like when Chara punched Crosby in the jaw? Bruins are owed enough cheap shots to take out an army.

• sabatimus - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM

mainevent, you’re kidding, right? Chara’s was an illegal check that went uncalled. Hitting someone in the shoulder is a legal check.

• imleftcoast - Jun 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM

He looked good in practice, but you do have to wonder how much contact he can take. I don’t see the Hawks stooping to Chara’s level as in the Crosby punch and the ridiculous dive in Game 1.

3. spitfisher - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM

That’s good news for both team’s fans, I wouldn’t want the advantage to go to a team based on injury, rather to sea the better team prevail. Horton could possibly be replaced, but the chemistry of that line can not.

Good Luck Bs and lets hope for a great game.

• sabatimus - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Totally agree about the chemistry of the line. Though I’m not sure how effective Horton will be. I wonder if Julien will dress someone to take Horton’s place just in case. And if Horton’s in no pain, that’s gotta be some serious pain medication he’s on.

4. mp1131211 - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM

He’ll be fine. If its recurring dislocations, all he has to do is not put his arms up high like he did in Game 1 when it popped. The Hawks can pound away at that shoulder all they want. It won’t get reinjured unless he makes stupid movements, which he can theoretically control.

• alexbaymac - Jun 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I at least partly agree with you; it looked like the two-armed shove he was giving to Hjal’s (I think) that popped it, not the contact at all. I think they call that “Fighting for position” when it’s by the net! That said, it’s still a target with the history. A part of the game; not a part I really like but he knows the risks better than anyone. To play, you are always putting yourself at risk.

• mp1131211 - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I suppose it is a risk- I don’t really know the history there, I don’t really follow the Bruins. I just doubt its a Labrum tear or something serious. Shoulder injuries can be entirely debilitaing, not something people can just “play through.” Yeah, he’s going to be a risk of it happening again, but if it happens again it will happen at his own will like it did in Game 1. Rather than target his shoulder, the Hawks should exploit the fact that maybe he can’t fight for position like he used to be able to.

• mp1131211 - Jun 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I guess maybe a rotator cuff tear or something could be played through, but I doubt its that……

5. LampyB - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Hawksdynasty is correct. If you didn’t already know this I feel bad for you.

6. titansbro - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Yeah. Crazy not to expect the hawks to go after the shoulder if the opportunity presents itself. He just needs to play his game & not think too much about it. He knows the stakes so I’m sure that’s exactly what he will do.

7. pastabelly - Jun 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I still have not gotten over that loss. I hope the Bs have. They need a healthy Horton. Replacing him with Caron would kill.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches