Jun 15, 2013, 9:17 AM EDT
Current Maple Leafs executive Tim Leiweke isn’t doing much to make his old town feel good about hockey.
Leiweke spoke with Leafs TV (as the L.A. Times shares) about his time with the Los Angeles Kings and wasn’t too flattering about the city’s passion for hockey. While talking about the Leafs’ exciting season and run to the playoffs for the first time since 2004, he says he never saw the same kind of passion from fans in L.A. when it came to the Kings.
“We didn’t see that in L.A., and we won the Stanley Cup. We finally saw it at the end. It took us getting to the finals in order to awaken that town. It’s not a hockey town.”
Oddly enough, as Chris Foster of the L.A. Times noted, Leiweke called Kings fans the best in the league just a few years ago. I guess the only thing we’ve learned out of this is that executives are really good at pumping the tires of the fans of the team they’re running.
May 5, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“He’s popped, he’s a person that’s carried himself with outstanding leadership.”
May 5, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
The AHL is going to look dramatically different next season.
May 5, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
Swiss blueliner hasn’t played since Apr. 2.
May 5, 2015, 1:13 PM EDT
But will Ray Shero eventually look in that direction?
May 5, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Jordan Schroeder could draw in.
May 5, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Can they accomplish both?
May 5, 2015, 11:34 AM EDT
Red Wings brass hoping a little “adversity” is good for the 2013 first-round pick.
May 5, 2015, 11:14 AM EDT
They’re facing down the dreaded 10th game tonight.
May 5, 2015, 10:44 AM EDT
The Big Ten’s freshman of the year in 2013-14 heads back to school.
May 5, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
His baffling postseason struggles continued in Game 3.
May 5, 2015, 10:16 AM EDT
Rangy defenseman has enjoyed a hectic 2014-15 campaign.
May 5, 2015, 9:38 AM EDT
It was a good run.
May 5, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Two Game 3’s on the docket.
May 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
May 4, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Washington needs its bottom-six forwards to keep contributing in order to go deep into the playoffs.
May 4, 2015, 10:28 PM EDT
It was his first shutout of the 2015 playoffs.
May 4, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s part of the leadup to the Detroit vs. Colorado outdoor game.
May 4, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Andre Burakovsky got his first career playoff point.
May 4, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
“Without that, goaltending and team defense can only take you so far.”
May 4, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
All three have won the Stanley Cup.
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 10
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (82)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)