Jun 15, 2013, 9:17 AM EST
Current Maple Leafs executive Tim Leiweke isn’t doing much to make his old town feel good about hockey.
Leiweke spoke with Leafs TV (as the L.A. Times shares) about his time with the Los Angeles Kings and wasn’t too flattering about the city’s passion for hockey. While talking about the Leafs’ exciting season and run to the playoffs for the first time since 2004, he says he never saw the same kind of passion from fans in L.A. when it came to the Kings.
“We didn’t see that in L.A., and we won the Stanley Cup. We finally saw it at the end. It took us getting to the finals in order to awaken that town. It’s not a hockey town.”
Oddly enough, as Chris Foster of the L.A. Times noted, Leiweke called Kings fans the best in the league just a few years ago. I guess the only thing we’ve learned out of this is that executives are really good at pumping the tires of the fans of the team they’re running.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)