Jun 15, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
Washington Capitals coach Adam Oates must know that many believe Sidney Crosby should have won the 2013 Hart Trophy instead of Alex Ovechkin. His response to the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno is sure to raise a few eyebrows.
“[Sidney Crosby] is an MVP in this league. He is,” Oates said. “But in saying that, he also didn’t have an MVP season.”
This isn’t the first time an admittedly biased Oates gave his 27-year-old star the edge over his prominent rival, as he made a similar point about the time Crosby missed when asked in mid-April.
Crosby, 25, was predictably diplomatic about the injury factor.
“I was in the mix,” Crosby said. “Alex had a great second half there and I ended up getting hurt and missing some time.”
Capitals GM George McPhee backed up the perceived need to play close to a full season to get the Hart, noting that Ovechkin fought through injuries of his own.
“Durability is part of being a great player,” McPhee said.
If nothing else, this debate might help to reignite a rivalry that seemingly went a little dormant the last couple seasons.
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 16
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 24
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (161)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)