Jun 15, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
Washington Capitals coach Adam Oates must know that many believe Sidney Crosby should have won the 2013 Hart Trophy instead of Alex Ovechkin. His response to the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno is sure to raise a few eyebrows.
“[Sidney Crosby] is an MVP in this league. He is,” Oates said. “But in saying that, he also didn’t have an MVP season.”
This isn’t the first time an admittedly biased Oates gave his 27-year-old star the edge over his prominent rival, as he made a similar point about the time Crosby missed when asked in mid-April.
Crosby, 25, was predictably diplomatic about the injury factor.
“I was in the mix,” Crosby said. “Alex had a great second half there and I ended up getting hurt and missing some time.”
Capitals GM George McPhee backed up the perceived need to play close to a full season to get the Hart, noting that Ovechkin fought through injuries of his own.
“Durability is part of being a great player,” McPhee said.
If nothing else, this debate might help to reignite a rivalry that seemingly went a little dormant the last couple seasons.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)