Jun 15, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
Washington Capitals coach Adam Oates must know that many believe Sidney Crosby should have won the 2013 Hart Trophy instead of Alex Ovechkin. His response to the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno is sure to raise a few eyebrows.
“[Sidney Crosby] is an MVP in this league. He is,” Oates said. “But in saying that, he also didn’t have an MVP season.”
This isn’t the first time an admittedly biased Oates gave his 27-year-old star the edge over his prominent rival, as he made a similar point about the time Crosby missed when asked in mid-April.
Crosby, 25, was predictably diplomatic about the injury factor.
“I was in the mix,” Crosby said. “Alex had a great second half there and I ended up getting hurt and missing some time.”
Capitals GM George McPhee backed up the perceived need to play close to a full season to get the Hart, noting that Ovechkin fought through injuries of his own.
“Durability is part of being a great player,” McPhee said.
If nothing else, this debate might help to reignite a rivalry that seemingly went a little dormant the last couple seasons.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)