Jun 14, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews has won his first-ever Frank J. Selke trophy as the league’s best defensive forward, beating out Detroit’s Pavel Datsyuk — a three-time winner — and last year’s winner, Patrice Bergeron.
The win comes after Toews finished second to Vancouver’s Ryan Kesler for the award in 2011.
“Captain Serious” finished third in the NHL with a plus-28 rating this season and tied for the league lead in takeaways, with 56. He boasted a stellar 59.9 faceoff winning percentage and was a key part of Chicago’s penalty kill, which was the third best during the regular season.
With the win, Toews becomes just the third Chicago forward to win the award, joining Dirk Graham (1990-91) and Troy Murray (1985-86).
Top 10 voting results for 2013 Selke
(1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place votes in parentheses)
1. Jonathan Toews, CHI 1260 (75-51-20-16-5)
2. Patrice Bergeron, BOS 1250 (78-44-24-12-6)
3. Pavel Datsyuk, DET 737 (8-37-58-31-15)
4. Anze Kopitar, L.A. 266 (4-7-19-25-7)
5. David Backes, STL 240 (3-10-12-17-29)
6. Jay McClement, TOR 142 (4-2-7-13-14)
7. Pascal Dupuis, PIT 111 (4-3-5-6-7)
8. Ryan Callahan, NYR 101 (1-3-6-8-16)
9. Derek Stepan, NYR 98 (1-2-5-14-7)
10. Marian Hossa, CHI 78 (1-4-3-4-13)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)