Jun 14, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
Seemingly undeterred by the lack of a formal agreement for NHL participation in the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, the Swedish hockey federation has released its training camp roster.
Twelve players will return from the team that went to Vancouver in 2010: Henrik Lundqvist, Niklas Kronwall, Douglas Murray, Johnny Oduya, Henrik Tallinder, Nicklas Backstrom, Loui Eriksson, Johan Franzen, Patric Hornqvist, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin and Henrik Zetterberg.
The biggest story from the camp roster, though, might be the changing of the guard for Swedish hockey.
A number of veteran presences were left off the invite list — the most notable being Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson — and a number of younger players seemed primed to make their Olympic debuts: Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Gabriel Landeskog, Carl Hagelin, Victor Hedman and Erik Karlsson.
(Though, it should be noted, there’s no official note saying those not attending camp can’t make the Swedish Olympic roster.)
Here’s the full camp invite list, courtesy Swehockey.se:
DEFENSE: Jonas Brodin, Alexander Edler, Oliver Ekman Larsson, Jonathan Ericsson, Nicklas Grossman, Erik Gustafsson, Victor Hedman, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Erik Karlsson, Niklas Kronwall, Douglas Murray, Johnny Oduya, Henrik Tallinder
FORWARDS:, Patrik Berglund, Nicklas Bäckström, Jimmie Ericsson, Loui Eriksson, Johan Franzén, Carl Hagelin, Patric Hörnqvist, Marcus Johansson, Marcus Krüger, Gabriel Landeskog, Oscar Lindberg, Joel Lundqvist, Gustav Nyquist, Niklas Persson, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Alexander Steen, Henrik Zetterberg.
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 10
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 18
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 21
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 16
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 53
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35