Jun 14, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
The NHL named Pittsburgh Penguins executive Ray Shero the fourth-ever GM of the Year for his work in the 2012-13 season on Friday. He edged Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin and Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray.
This makes him the first general manager of an Eastern Conference team to win the award. This was the first time he was ever nominated for the award.
Past winners: Maloney, PHX; Gillis, VAN; Armstrong, STL
Shero was one of the busiest execs in the league in this abbreviated season, making splashy moves by trading for Jarome Iginla, Brenden Morrow, Douglas Murray and Jussi Jokinen around the trade deadline.
His biggest offseason move involved handing a two-year, $4 million contract to back up Marc-Andre Fleury. Vokoun usurped “The Flower” during the playoffs, so that turned out to be a wise move.
As with any GM, his job is year-round. In fact, his biggest recent moves came this week when he re-signed Evgeni Malkin and gave head coach Dan Bylsma a contract extension.
2012-2013 NHL General Manager of the Year Award Voting
(1st, 2nd and 3rd place votes in parentheses)
1. Ray Shero, PIT 94 (14-6-6)
2. Bob Murray, ANA 88 (11-9-6)
3. Marc Bergevin, MTL 75 (7-12-4)
4. Stan Bowman, CHI 36 (3-6-3)
5. Bryan Murray, OTT 23 (2-2-7)
6. Garth Snow, NYI 8 (0-1-5)
7. Dave Nonis, TOR 6 (0-2-0)
8. Ken Holland, DET 5 (1-0-0)
David Poile, NSH 5 (1-0-0)
10. George McPhee, WSH 4 (0-1-1)
11. Scott Howson, CBJ 2 (0-0-2)
12. Dean Lombardi, L.A. 1 (0-0-1)
Don Maloney, PHX 1 (0-0-1)
Glen Sather, NYR 1 (0-0-1)
Greg Sherman, COL 1 (0-0-1)
Doug Wilson, S.J. 1 (0-0-1)
Jul 4, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Played 37 games with Edmonton last season before getting sent back to the WHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
He signed with Pittsburgh on Wednesday.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Both received two-way deals.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
Will he make the 2015-16 Flyers?
Jul 4, 2015, 12:48 PM EDT
Washington’s AHL tandem has more NHL playing experience than Holtby and Grubauer.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He usually gets at least one stint in the NHL per season.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:18 AM EDT
The two sides reportedly aren’t close to an agreement.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
What role he has could depend on the Kings and league’s decision regarding Slava Voynov.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Scored 13 goals in 54 games last season.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He was sentenced in September, 2013.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Spent the last three seasons in the KHL.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
Buffalo also signed Cal O’Reilly, who played last season with the AHL Utica Comets.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He signed a six-year, $36 million deal with Columbus.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Could make things interesting next season.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)