Jun 14, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
The NHL named Pittsburgh Penguins executive Ray Shero the fourth-ever GM of the Year for his work in the 2012-13 season on Friday. He edged Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin and Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray.
This makes him the first general manager of an Eastern Conference team to win the award. This was the first time he was ever nominated for the award.
Past winners: Maloney, PHX; Gillis, VAN; Armstrong, STL
Shero was one of the busiest execs in the league in this abbreviated season, making splashy moves by trading for Jarome Iginla, Brenden Morrow, Douglas Murray and Jussi Jokinen around the trade deadline.
His biggest offseason move involved handing a two-year, $4 million contract to back up Marc-Andre Fleury. Vokoun usurped “The Flower” during the playoffs, so that turned out to be a wise move.
As with any GM, his job is year-round. In fact, his biggest recent moves came this week when he re-signed Evgeni Malkin and gave head coach Dan Bylsma a contract extension.
2012-2013 NHL General Manager of the Year Award Voting
(1st, 2nd and 3rd place votes in parentheses)
1. Ray Shero, PIT 94 (14-6-6)
2. Bob Murray, ANA 88 (11-9-6)
3. Marc Bergevin, MTL 75 (7-12-4)
4. Stan Bowman, CHI 36 (3-6-3)
5. Bryan Murray, OTT 23 (2-2-7)
6. Garth Snow, NYI 8 (0-1-5)
7. Dave Nonis, TOR 6 (0-2-0)
8. Ken Holland, DET 5 (1-0-0)
David Poile, NSH 5 (1-0-0)
10. George McPhee, WSH 4 (0-1-1)
11. Scott Howson, CBJ 2 (0-0-2)
12. Dean Lombardi, L.A. 1 (0-0-1)
Don Maloney, PHX 1 (0-0-1)
Glen Sather, NYR 1 (0-0-1)
Greg Sherman, COL 1 (0-0-1)
Doug Wilson, S.J. 1 (0-0-1)
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)