Jun 14, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
The NHL named Pittsburgh Penguins executive Ray Shero the fourth-ever GM of the Year for his work in the 2012-13 season on Friday. He edged Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin and Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray.
This makes him the first general manager of an Eastern Conference team to win the award. This was the first time he was ever nominated for the award.
Past winners: Maloney, PHX; Gillis, VAN; Armstrong, STL
Shero was one of the busiest execs in the league in this abbreviated season, making splashy moves by trading for Jarome Iginla, Brenden Morrow, Douglas Murray and Jussi Jokinen around the trade deadline.
His biggest offseason move involved handing a two-year, $4 million contract to back up Marc-Andre Fleury. Vokoun usurped “The Flower” during the playoffs, so that turned out to be a wise move.
As with any GM, his job is year-round. In fact, his biggest recent moves came this week when he re-signed Evgeni Malkin and gave head coach Dan Bylsma a contract extension.
2012-2013 NHL General Manager of the Year Award Voting
(1st, 2nd and 3rd place votes in parentheses)
1. Ray Shero, PIT 94 (14-6-6)
2. Bob Murray, ANA 88 (11-9-6)
3. Marc Bergevin, MTL 75 (7-12-4)
4. Stan Bowman, CHI 36 (3-6-3)
5. Bryan Murray, OTT 23 (2-2-7)
6. Garth Snow, NYI 8 (0-1-5)
7. Dave Nonis, TOR 6 (0-2-0)
8. Ken Holland, DET 5 (1-0-0)
David Poile, NSH 5 (1-0-0)
10. George McPhee, WSH 4 (0-1-1)
11. Scott Howson, CBJ 2 (0-0-2)
12. Dean Lombardi, L.A. 1 (0-0-1)
Don Maloney, PHX 1 (0-0-1)
Glen Sather, NYR 1 (0-0-1)
Greg Sherman, COL 1 (0-0-1)
Doug Wilson, S.J. 1 (0-0-1)
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 5
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)