Rangers interview Mark Messier for head coaching gig

Jun 14, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT

markmessiergetty Getty Images

Mark Messier admitted on Friday that he’s one of the candidates who is interviewing for the vacant New York Rangers head coaching job, NHL.com reports.

“We had our scouts meetings and I’ve had conversations with [GM Glen Sather], and like anybody that would be interested in coaching, obviously the Rangers would be a dream come true for a lot of coaches,” Messier said. “I told Glen I would have interest, so we’ve had discussions and that’s where it stands right now.”

Messier notes that it’s far from a done deal, however.

“I’m not going to get into those kinds of specifics right now,” Messier said. “It’s way too premature. All I can say is I have interest in the job. I’ve had an interview with Glen and we’ll see what happens.”

Here’s video of his comments:

Beyond his legendary moments with the squad, Messier does boast another familiarity bonus in that he’s currently employed with the team, with the title Special Assistant to the General Manager and President.

Again, Messier isn’t the only person bidding for the job, though.

New York Newsday reports that former Vancouver Canucks head Alain Vigneault spoke with the Rangers on Tuesday. Another name sprouted up on Friday, as Los Angeles Kings assistant (and former Philadelphia Flyers head coach) John Stevens is expected to receive an interview as well, according to the Los Angeles Times.

1. atwatercrushesokoye - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM

GS: okay Mark why don’t you tell us your qualifications for the job?
    MM: well I played for the Rangers, and was a good leader
    GS: and?…
    MM: I guaranteed a win once, we won that game.
    GS: okay and tell us about your coaching experience

GS: surely you’ve coached somewhere before?
    MM: not really
    GS: anything else we should know Mark?
    MM: I’m the ultimate leader and I’m proficient in Windows, Word and Excel
    GS: We’ll let you know.

IMO this was done to please Rangers fans, I don’t think he’ll be a real candidate for the job.

2. Windmiller4 - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I hope this was done just to make ranger fans happy, although i could see Sather hiring him. But, It is possible that he could turn into a good coach, with his leadership and knowledge of the game. If he truly wanted to get into coaching he’d get into the junior ranks and work his way up, he needs experience. Hiring him could be a high risk high reward kind of thing. Which Sather is known very well for doing, although it generally hasn’t worked out in his favor

3. purpledynasty - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Hiring Messier would be a stroke of genius by Sather. Messier is a motivator that knows how to communicate with people. He knows the game as well as anyone, and knows what it takes to win. The X’s and O’s are something that he’s known and lived since playing days – translating that to the coach’s position, with the help of assistant coaches is the LEAST of problems that ANY NHL coach needs to worry about. They’re all working with professional players that know the basics of the jobs they need to get done. At the NHL level its about motivation and STYLE – I’ve always liked and respected Messier’s style of play, style of character and style of communicating.

4. banger60 - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM

????????????????????

5. banger60 - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Hire Don Cherry, at least the post game would be hilarious!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM

More importantly, it would get him off CBC.

6. hockeyflow33 - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM

What a joke for that franchise. If they hire him, Sather should be canned immediately. Have Messier as an assistant or heading up a junior team at least.

7. vanindeed - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:44 PM

AV is the logical choice for the Rangers.

• barkar942 - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I disagree. He has been unable to get Vancouver out of the first round for two years. I don’t feel he will be able to do any better with the Rangers.John Stevens? He did a decent job with the Flyers, but not that impressed. Messier, no thank you. Stick to being primed for the front office.
      I still say Mike Haviland, but my posts are falling on deaf ears.

• nyrnashty - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Av by far is their best option. Rangers have more talent than Vancouver and AV can get them to maximize it. The players will do anything for him as long as they don’t have to block shots all game and force Lundqvist to be the 1st star in all of their wins.

• johnstone17 - Jun 15, 2013 at 7:15 AM

No deaf ears here. I’m a Mike Haviland fan.

8. jaybyrd99 - Jun 15, 2013 at 6:07 AM

My guess and hope is that it was just a courtesy interview, something to add to his resume.

Chances Blue Jackets bounce back?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches