Jun 14, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
Mark Messier admitted on Friday that he’s one of the candidates who is interviewing for the vacant New York Rangers head coaching job, NHL.com reports.
“We had our scouts meetings and I’ve had conversations with [GM Glen Sather], and like anybody that would be interested in coaching, obviously the Rangers would be a dream come true for a lot of coaches,” Messier said. “I told Glen I would have interest, so we’ve had discussions and that’s where it stands right now.”
Messier notes that it’s far from a done deal, however.
“I’m not going to get into those kinds of specifics right now,” Messier said. “It’s way too premature. All I can say is I have interest in the job. I’ve had an interview with Glen and we’ll see what happens.”
Here’s video of his comments:
Beyond his legendary moments with the squad, Messier does boast another familiarity bonus in that he’s currently employed with the team, with the title Special Assistant to the General Manager and President.
Again, Messier isn’t the only person bidding for the job, though.
New York Newsday reports that former Vancouver Canucks head Alain Vigneault spoke with the Rangers on Tuesday. Another name sprouted up on Friday, as Los Angeles Kings assistant (and former Philadelphia Flyers head coach) John Stevens is expected to receive an interview as well, according to the Los Angeles Times.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)