Jun 14, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
Mark Messier admitted on Friday that he’s one of the candidates who is interviewing for the vacant New York Rangers head coaching job, NHL.com reports.
“We had our scouts meetings and I’ve had conversations with [GM Glen Sather], and like anybody that would be interested in coaching, obviously the Rangers would be a dream come true for a lot of coaches,” Messier said. “I told Glen I would have interest, so we’ve had discussions and that’s where it stands right now.”
Messier notes that it’s far from a done deal, however.
“I’m not going to get into those kinds of specifics right now,” Messier said. “It’s way too premature. All I can say is I have interest in the job. I’ve had an interview with Glen and we’ll see what happens.”
Here’s video of his comments:
Beyond his legendary moments with the squad, Messier does boast another familiarity bonus in that he’s currently employed with the team, with the title Special Assistant to the General Manager and President.
Again, Messier isn’t the only person bidding for the job, though.
New York Newsday reports that former Vancouver Canucks head Alain Vigneault spoke with the Rangers on Tuesday. Another name sprouted up on Friday, as Los Angeles Kings assistant (and former Philadelphia Flyers head coach) John Stevens is expected to receive an interview as well, according to the Los Angeles Times.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)