Jun 14, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Mark Messier admitted on Friday that he’s one of the candidates who is interviewing for the vacant New York Rangers head coaching job, NHL.com reports.
“We had our scouts meetings and I’ve had conversations with [GM Glen Sather], and like anybody that would be interested in coaching, obviously the Rangers would be a dream come true for a lot of coaches,” Messier said. “I told Glen I would have interest, so we’ve had discussions and that’s where it stands right now.”
Messier notes that it’s far from a done deal, however.
“I’m not going to get into those kinds of specifics right now,” Messier said. “It’s way too premature. All I can say is I have interest in the job. I’ve had an interview with Glen and we’ll see what happens.”
Here’s video of his comments:
Beyond his legendary moments with the squad, Messier does boast another familiarity bonus in that he’s currently employed with the team, with the title Special Assistant to the General Manager and President.
Again, Messier isn’t the only person bidding for the job, though.
New York Newsday reports that former Vancouver Canucks head Alain Vigneault spoke with the Rangers on Tuesday. Another name sprouted up on Friday, as Los Angeles Kings assistant (and former Philadelphia Flyers head coach) John Stevens is expected to receive an interview as well, according to the Los Angeles Times.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)