Jun 14, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
Mark Messier admitted on Friday that he’s one of the candidates who is interviewing for the vacant New York Rangers head coaching job, NHL.com reports.
“We had our scouts meetings and I’ve had conversations with [GM Glen Sather], and like anybody that would be interested in coaching, obviously the Rangers would be a dream come true for a lot of coaches,” Messier said. “I told Glen I would have interest, so we’ve had discussions and that’s where it stands right now.”
Messier notes that it’s far from a done deal, however.
“I’m not going to get into those kinds of specifics right now,” Messier said. “It’s way too premature. All I can say is I have interest in the job. I’ve had an interview with Glen and we’ll see what happens.”
Here’s video of his comments:
Beyond his legendary moments with the squad, Messier does boast another familiarity bonus in that he’s currently employed with the team, with the title Special Assistant to the General Manager and President.
Again, Messier isn’t the only person bidding for the job, though.
New York Newsday reports that former Vancouver Canucks head Alain Vigneault spoke with the Rangers on Tuesday. Another name sprouted up on Friday, as Los Angeles Kings assistant (and former Philadelphia Flyers head coach) John Stevens is expected to receive an interview as well, according to the Los Angeles Times.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 6
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)