Jun 14, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Mark Messier admitted on Friday that he’s one of the candidates who is interviewing for the vacant New York Rangers head coaching job, NHL.com reports.
“We had our scouts meetings and I’ve had conversations with [GM Glen Sather], and like anybody that would be interested in coaching, obviously the Rangers would be a dream come true for a lot of coaches,” Messier said. “I told Glen I would have interest, so we’ve had discussions and that’s where it stands right now.”
Messier notes that it’s far from a done deal, however.
“I’m not going to get into those kinds of specifics right now,” Messier said. “It’s way too premature. All I can say is I have interest in the job. I’ve had an interview with Glen and we’ll see what happens.”
Here’s video of his comments:
Beyond his legendary moments with the squad, Messier does boast another familiarity bonus in that he’s currently employed with the team, with the title Special Assistant to the General Manager and President.
Again, Messier isn’t the only person bidding for the job, though.
New York Newsday reports that former Vancouver Canucks head Alain Vigneault spoke with the Rangers on Tuesday. Another name sprouted up on Friday, as Los Angeles Kings assistant (and former Philadelphia Flyers head coach) John Stevens is expected to receive an interview as well, according to the Los Angeles Times.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)