Jun 14, 2013, 3:46 PM EDT
On Friday, Brough and I set out to see Chicago. You know, one of those journeys to discover the heartbeat of the city, get to know the people, try to gauge the Stanley Cup excitement, etc. We had big plans.
Two blocks into our walk, we found a hotdog place.
So obviously we went into the hotdog place.
The place was Portillo’s, home of the world famous hotdog, which we sampled (twice!) with around 1,296 fl. oz. of soda.
Make no mistake, though — this wasn’t just about food (he wrote, trying to remove a stubborn mustard stain from his shorts).
‘Hawks fever was alive and well in Portillo’s, which houses a banner celebrating Chicago’s 1938 Stanley Cup win over Toronto.
As you may have guessed, ‘Hawks fever is everywhere in this city. From the Clinton Global Initiative meeting (Hillary shouted ‘em out yesterday) to this Channel 5 news profile on superfan Bob Gertenrich:
In short, Chicago’s a pretty good time right now.
It’ll probably get even better for Game 2 on Saturday. Weekend games are more fun because fans can spend hours pregaming without annoyances like “work” and “family” getting in the way. Brough and I will be up to our usual salad-dodging ways, so let us know if there’s some sort of food establishment we should visit that’ll result in us looking at our stomachs in the mirror and sobbing for 15 minutes.
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7