Jun 14, 2013, 3:46 PM EDT
On Friday, Brough and I set out to see Chicago. You know, one of those journeys to discover the heartbeat of the city, get to know the people, try to gauge the Stanley Cup excitement, etc. We had big plans.
Two blocks into our walk, we found a hotdog place.
So obviously we went into the hotdog place.
The place was Portillo’s, home of the world famous hotdog, which we sampled (twice!) with around 1,296 fl. oz. of soda.
Make no mistake, though — this wasn’t just about food (he wrote, trying to remove a stubborn mustard stain from his shorts).
‘Hawks fever was alive and well in Portillo’s, which houses a banner celebrating Chicago’s 1938 Stanley Cup win over Toronto.
As you may have guessed, ‘Hawks fever is everywhere in this city. From the Clinton Global Initiative meeting (Hillary shouted ‘em out yesterday) to this Channel 5 news profile on superfan Bob Gertenrich:
In short, Chicago’s a pretty good time right now.
It’ll probably get even better for Game 2 on Saturday. Weekend games are more fun because fans can spend hours pregaming without annoyances like “work” and “family” getting in the way. Brough and I will be up to our usual salad-dodging ways, so let us know if there’s some sort of food establishment we should visit that’ll result in us looking at our stomachs in the mirror and sobbing for 15 minutes.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)