Jun 14, 2013, 3:46 PM EDT
On Friday, Brough and I set out to see Chicago. You know, one of those journeys to discover the heartbeat of the city, get to know the people, try to gauge the Stanley Cup excitement, etc. We had big plans.
Two blocks into our walk, we found a hotdog place.
So obviously we went into the hotdog place.
The place was Portillo’s, home of the world famous hotdog, which we sampled (twice!) with around 1,296 fl. oz. of soda.
Make no mistake, though — this wasn’t just about food (he wrote, trying to remove a stubborn mustard stain from his shorts).
‘Hawks fever was alive and well in Portillo’s, which houses a banner celebrating Chicago’s 1938 Stanley Cup win over Toronto.
As you may have guessed, ‘Hawks fever is everywhere in this city. From the Clinton Global Initiative meeting (Hillary shouted ‘em out yesterday) to this Channel 5 news profile on superfan Bob Gertenrich:
In short, Chicago’s a pretty good time right now.
It’ll probably get even better for Game 2 on Saturday. Weekend games are more fun because fans can spend hours pregaming without annoyances like “work” and “family” getting in the way. Brough and I will be up to our usual salad-dodging ways, so let us know if there’s some sort of food establishment we should visit that’ll result in us looking at our stomachs in the mirror and sobbing for 15 minutes.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 46
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 34
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)