Jun 14, 2013, 3:46 PM EDT
On Friday, Brough and I set out to see Chicago. You know, one of those journeys to discover the heartbeat of the city, get to know the people, try to gauge the Stanley Cup excitement, etc. We had big plans.
Two blocks into our walk, we found a hotdog place.
So obviously we went into the hotdog place.
The place was Portillo’s, home of the world famous hotdog, which we sampled (twice!) with around 1,296 fl. oz. of soda.
Make no mistake, though — this wasn’t just about food (he wrote, trying to remove a stubborn mustard stain from his shorts).
‘Hawks fever was alive and well in Portillo’s, which houses a banner celebrating Chicago’s 1938 Stanley Cup win over Toronto.
As you may have guessed, ‘Hawks fever is everywhere in this city. From the Clinton Global Initiative meeting (Hillary shouted ‘em out yesterday) to this Channel 5 news profile on superfan Bob Gertenrich:
In short, Chicago’s a pretty good time right now.
It’ll probably get even better for Game 2 on Saturday. Weekend games are more fun because fans can spend hours pregaming without annoyances like “work” and “family” getting in the way. Brough and I will be up to our usual salad-dodging ways, so let us know if there’s some sort of food establishment we should visit that’ll result in us looking at our stomachs in the mirror and sobbing for 15 minutes.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 19
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)