Jun 14, 2013, 3:46 PM EST
On Friday, Brough and I set out to see Chicago. You know, one of those journeys to discover the heartbeat of the city, get to know the people, try to gauge the Stanley Cup excitement, etc. We had big plans.
Two blocks into our walk, we found a hotdog place.
So obviously we went into the hotdog place.
The place was Portillo’s, home of the world famous hotdog, which we sampled (twice!) with around 1,296 fl. oz. of soda.
Make no mistake, though — this wasn’t just about food (he wrote, trying to remove a stubborn mustard stain from his shorts).
‘Hawks fever was alive and well in Portillo’s, which houses a banner celebrating Chicago’s 1938 Stanley Cup win over Toronto.
As you may have guessed, ‘Hawks fever is everywhere in this city. From the Clinton Global Initiative meeting (Hillary shouted ‘em out yesterday) to this Channel 5 news profile on superfan Bob Gertenrich:
In short, Chicago’s a pretty good time right now.
It’ll probably get even better for Game 2 on Saturday. Weekend games are more fun because fans can spend hours pregaming without annoyances like “work” and “family” getting in the way. Brough and I will be up to our usual salad-dodging ways, so let us know if there’s some sort of food establishment we should visit that’ll result in us looking at our stomachs in the mirror and sobbing for 15 minutes.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 1
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 62
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 65
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 36
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 64
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 169
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) (68)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (66)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (64)