Jun 14, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Ottawa Senators bench boss Paul MacLean has won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL’s best coach for 2013, beating out Anaheim’s Bruce Boudreau and Chicago’s Joel Quenneville.
MacLean, who was named a finalist for the 2012 award and finished third in voting, captured the ’13 edition by leading an Ottawa team ravaged by injury (Erik Karlsson, Jason Spezza, Milan Michalek and Craig Anderson all missed significant time) to the No. 7 seed in the Eastern Conference.
A remarkable 14 rookies made at least one appearance for the Sens in 2013.
With the win, MacLean becomes just the second coach in Senators history to capture the award. Jacques Martin won it in 1998-99.
2012-2013 Jack Adams Award Voting
Paul MacLean, OTT 206 (28-19-9)
Joel Quenneville, CHI 160 (22-13-11)
Bruce Boudreau, ANA 88 (6-15-13)
Michel Therrien, MTL 78 (10-6-10)
Jack Capuano, NYI 47 (5-5-7)
Dan Bylsma, PIT 40 (4-4-8)
Randy Carlyle, TOR 40 (3-5-10)
Adam Oates, WSH 40 (2-8-6)
Todd Richards, CBJ 37 (3-5-7)
Mike Babcock, DET 7 (0-2-1)
Todd McLellan, S.J. 3 (0-1-0)
Darryl Sutter, L.A. 1 (0-0-1)
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 18
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)