Jun 14, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
With time running out on the Phoenix Coyotes (where have we heard that before?), there’s apparently a “mystery buyer” prepared to make an offer for the moribund hockey team (again, where have we heard that before?).
The latest twist comes via Glendale city councilman Gary Sherwood, as reported by the Arizona Republic:
The mystery buyer told Sherwood he’d have his bid together by Friday. It sounded too good to be true.
I’ll pause while you roll your eyes.
“But that’s part of the problem,” Sherwood said. “There are other groups lurking that the NHL hasn’t brought to us. They have their one candidate. And the way I look at it is, maybe Renaissance (Sports and Entertainment) is the best for the NHL, but maybe only second- or third-best for Glendale.”
Another source said the mystery buyer is real and would bring real money to the table. Renaissance’s deal is heavy on loans, short on equity, and no person has more than a $10 million stake in the game. They want an out clause after four to five years, creating fears that they conceivably could run the team into the ground and bail.
Not surprisingly, the Globe and Mail’s David Shoalts is skeptical.
By your agent’s count, this is the 473rd mystery buyer to arrive since this sorry saga began in May, 2009 when Jerry Moyes got tired of writing $30-million (all currency U.S.) cheques every year to cover the NHL team’s losses and put it in bankruptcy court in the failed attempt to sell to BlackBerry mogul Jim Balsillie. And this one, according to multiple sources, is just like the previous ones – all hat and no cattle.
Gary Sherwood, a rookie politician who was elected to the city council of suburban Glendale in January along with three other newcomers, spoke to the Arizona Republic about this mystery buyer. Surprisingly, the fellow who got elected promising more transparency in government declined to identify the alleged rich person.
The NHL owns the Coyotes, so it can sell the team to whichever party it chooses. Just ask that Darin Pastor fellow.
Will we ever find out the identity of the mystery buyer? Stay tuned…
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)