Jets’ Kane apologizes for tweeting homophobic slur

Jun 14, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT

Evander Kane Getty Images

Winnipeg forward Evander Kane is once again embroiled in controversy due to his use of social media.

On Thursday evening, Kane tweeted “Chris Bosh looked like a fairy going to the rim,” during Game 4 of the NBA Finals between the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs.

The comment was met with instant criticism, which Kane initially responded to — before speaking with Patrick Burke of the You Can Play organization.

Following that discussion, Kane tweeted the following statement.

“Just spoke with Patrick Burke + @YouCanPlayTeam and would like to sincerely apologize for a tweet where I used a homophobic term. I made a mistake and will learn from this.

I apologize to anyone I offended by my tweet and this will not happen again. #YouCanPlay”

For Burke’s take on the incident, here’s more from the Winnipeg Sun:

“Since this appears to be ‘controversial’ to some of Twitter, yes Fairy is a gay slur. Fun part is for those doubting me, I’m at the NIKE LGBT Sports Summit so I just took a survey of 30 gay athletes and they agree.

“That said, it isn’t always commonly known and I genuinely believe Evander didn’t know the implications for gay people. I know for a fact Evander wrote his own apology (not always true of these apologies) and wants to make amends for his mistake.”

This isn’t the first time Kane’s come under fire for his use of social media.

In February, he said a “good portion of the criticism” he faces is because he’s black, clarifying the majority of said criticism occurs on social media.

During the lockout, he came under fire for tweeting a picture of him talking on a money phone, in a shout out to boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr.

1. ibieiniid - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM

the kid is a moron, that’s a given. but idk if i have anything against this one. gay people have been likened to fairies, a mythical symbol. likening anything else to a fairy is now likening them to gay people? i didn’t see the play but if he runs up on tip-toes and lightly leaps towards the net, then he looks like a fairy, not in the gay sense.

that one’s a little overboard.

• ibieiniid - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

lol wait a tick…. now if “going to the rim” had a double meaning, then ya, that’s a gay slur

• jpelle82 - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM

i was thinking the same thing. doubt kane is that clever though. probably just meant bosh was going weak and was fragile like a fairy.

• supercoop8 - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Burke mapped out the best way to figure these problems out: Assemble gay athletes and take some polls.

• chuchie414 - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

“Take some polls” LOL indeed.

2. Exiled1 - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM

This kid has to think before he acts. Sorry Evander ,but you are a professional athlete.

Pro: You make millions playing a game to a high degree of skill.

Con: You will be viewed under the microscope of media for all to see and all to judge.

Don’t be a puke!

• hockeyflow33 - Jun 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Why would being a pro athlete make you better than everyone else?

3. einjzmolf - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM

just delete the twitter, kid.

4. jpelle82 - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM

by the way – is this You Can Play thing is the new authority in town? since when does a player have to answer to a lobbyist?

• hockeyflow33 - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I surveyed 30 message board commenters and they think you’re dad is an idiot Burke, make him apologize to Leafs fans.

5. travishenryskid - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM

The PC world we live in can be pretty irritating at times. I realize that there is a larger picture involved and the idea is to nip it in the bud, but constantly picking out every single time a person says something remotely insensitive, having a sit down meeting to explain why they were wrong, and then forcing them to issue a public apology is tiresome. Let’s be honest, if you were truly offended by this, A. You have too much time on your hands. B. You have really thin skin. C. Your priorities are screwed up.

• stakex - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Would you be saying the same thing if someone called Kane the “N” word?

Granted I’m not offended by this myself because I’m not gay, just like I wouldn’t be offended by the use of the N word because I’m not black. That fact the of the matter is that both are slurs used to target different groups. You might not feel that way because you don’t like gay people, or aren’t gay yourself… but that’s irrelevant.

The worst part about this is that Kane cries the race card from time to time and acts like he’s targeted because he’s black…. but then shows bias against another group and has no problem openly using slurs against them. Very hypocritical.

• travishenryskid - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Let’s put it this way, I know many gay people including my people in my own family, and I don’t think a single one would break a sweat over this, and some would probably even agree with Kane’s take, because they can take a joke. IMO, there wasn’t hate or malice in the tweet, he just used a word that makes people uncomfortable. The example you give, someone calling a black person the N word, is a direct attack on a person meant to show hatred based on his ethnicity, group he belongs to. It’s quite different.

• Exiled1 - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

oh no not the “N”word.

• ibieiniid - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

^^^ Exiled1 happens to like using the N word, he thinks it makes him sound classy.

• Exiled1 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM

No…exiled1 doesn’t like using the “N” word. Lighten up. And you’re right I’m as classy as making a list for a Wal-Mart run at the trailer park.

• cadenjay - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Being Gay is against God and nature. Being black is not a choice. I know some people are born tat way but for others its a choice. Fairy is a good description of the way Bosh sometimes looks. What’s the big deal? DAMN!

• micklethepickle - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Can’t argue with this. Great comment. I think instead of forcing an insincere public apology every time this happens, we should just spread the word about this hilarious site – http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/ – where the author catalogs racist tweets.

• ibieiniid - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM

YES. this is the kind of thinking we need. everybody gets on me when I stick up for the PC “movement.” I don’t want the people prosecuted for what they say or anything, but publicly shaming people that are publicly a-holes is totally acceptable and IMO, awesome. there’s a small difference between saying what you want even if it’s offensive, and being a full-on, inconsiderate douche.

• therealjr - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Just a quick glance at that page and I find it mostly enjoyable. I’m sure some people cross the line, but it probably only offends fairies like you.

6. sergeikremlin - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I’m calling it now: Kane will change his name in an attempt to become more famous at some point during his career.

• chicagobtech - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Evander will change his name when Patrick finally gets fed up with Evander sullying the family name.

7. Habib Marwan - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I just thought I’d add that it is a sin to be gay , the Bible says so …
    have a good afternoon folks

• ibieiniid - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not but i’ll throw this in there too.. if we listen to everything in the bible, 90% of all Christian marriages (my completely made-up estimate) are null and void. no non-virgin woman can have a legit marriage, says the bible.

• Habib Marwan - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM

i wasnt being sarcastic ibieniid.

• jpelle82 - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM

cite that please, in all my studies i have never seen it. i think you may be referring to the law in deuteronomy where the law is detailed….somewhere in dueteronomy 22. it says that a man can make an accusation if he feels he was misled…and it has to be proven. if a woman has lied about her virginity to be married and it can be proven, then the man has the right to have her stoned to death if he wants. the reason for the stoning is not because she married as a non virgin but because she was promiscuous while living under her father’s roof and has dishonored his house. women remarried all the time in the bible as non virgins, they were still legit marriages. it speaks to the necessity for honor, it gives the husband a way out if he feels he was lied to. back then, though a little removed from our current standards, the interest of the husband was usually the primary concern. it does however say that if the man who brings the accusation is slandering her, he will have to pay a fine and has to keep her as a wife. see the difference in punishment though?

• ibieiniid - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM

you’re correct in the location of what i was referring to

“13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[a] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.”

now… regardless of whether you interpret that meaning a virgin is not a valid wife, or a liar/whore is not a valid wife, if you’re living by everything the bible says, I’ll go ahead and assume that you’ve stoned a woman to death for being promiscuous?

confirms the point i was making anyway. you can’t pick and choose which parts of the bible you’d like to follow.

• jpelle82 - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM

my wife didnt lie about it so i didnt have cause to bring her to her father’s house to have her stoned. the law of the land is to be followed as jesus said – render unto ceasar what belongs to ceasar. whether we believe something should or shouldnt be as punishment for certain sins doesnt really matter here, man makes the law here and being a good christian involves following the law while we are here. God will judge in the end whether you choose to follow the old law literally or not.

• mp1131211 - Jun 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM

There is nothing sadder in this whole thread that your post. I’m an atheist, and *I* feel like praying for you… good god!

8. hagigun - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM

This is just ridiculous! Fairy is not exclusive to Gay people, They do not own the term and they should not think that anytime it’s used that it refers to them.

Fairy conjures up images of a female in a pink tutu or costume with a small wand who gracefully hovers about avoiding contact. Thats it.

Pro basketball players can look like a fairy at times. NHL’ers can look like a fairy at times. I can look like a fairy at times.

So any word that has ever been used to refer to a group of people as a slur just 1 time is now off limits for the rest of the world to use? People need to get some thicker skin.

Some guy called me “Buddy” the other day. I didn’t like it as a small white guy. It was like he was calling me “My Buddy” like I am some little doll with overalls and freckles and only 2 feet tall with a plastic face. I better never catch anyone using the word Buddy or there will be hell to pay…got it Buddy?!?

9. kaptaanamerica - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM

looks like Evander Kane joined the racists and other bigots. maybe he should give a pass to the people he says are racist against him because he’s half black if they make a perfunctory apology, even though I haven’t heard of those people using racists epithets against him.

if he wants to play the race card then he’d better make dang sure he’s not a bigot himself or using bigoted epithets against other humans. using a double entendre and an epithet in the same sentence qualifies him as a bigot, intentional or not. but you know i won’t hold it against him since he ‘apologized’.

10. kingcobraman - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM

overblown, people now a days way to sensitive…

• ibieiniid - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM

that must be real easy to say as a straight white male.

• ibieiniid - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM

but in this case, i agree with you.

• hockeyflow33 - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM

How do you know what he is and why is being a white male so easy? Maybe I’ve missed out on the free stuff I get as a white male but why is telling someone their opinion is invalid because of who they are any different than what you’re trying to stop?

You’re still generalizing an entire group of people which you proclaim is wrong so why further it?

11. garyreasons55 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM

For a guy who cries people are ‘racist’ and uses the race card to deflect the fact he’s a bust he seems to be awfully ignorant. Imagine if he was Don Imus what would’ve happened.

• kingcobraman - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM

as a person he has made mistakes like all young men do… as a player he is a very talented sniper…

12. bardown66 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I normally would call a guy an idiot especially with the history that Kane has.,,,but saying fairy is hardly a big deal. If you say fairy I think of a literal fairy. Not some gay guy, the gay community is ridiculous with this stuff.

• therealjr - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I think what bothers me the most about his tweet is how he disrespected Fairy Nation. I mean, they aren’t like vamps or anything but they are kind of bad-ass in their own way.

13. guinsrule - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM

There are two worlds-one in which everybody likes each other, nobody ever says a bad word and s#^t don’t stink and then there’s the real world in which we all live in. Some people have a hard time accepting that. Offensive thoughts and comments haven’t been stopped, they’ve simply been reserved for private conversations. Do people really think some forced apology changes how someone really feels? If anything, it just makes the hostility even greater.

14. betrayedbylife - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM

kane is a bit of a turd. pics of his money and stupid haircuts and saying dumb things that are most likely going to cause an uproar. he just needs to delete his twitter and play hockey.

15. blackhawksdynasty - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

This kid needs to grow up. Great hockey player. Total moron.

16. hockeyflow33 - Jun 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Honestly, this garbage needs to stop. Who cares if he said he looks gay, white or martian while jumping to the rim? People need to grow up and stop pretending words hurt.

17. nyrnashty - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Who doesn’t say stuff like “that is gay” when not even talking about gay people? I say it everyday in real life like everyone else. If you’re watching a hockey game and a dude doesn’t want to fight when someone else does you say something like “that dudes mad gay for not fighting” must only be a problem on the Internet

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches