Jun 14, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
Winnipeg forward Evander Kane is once again embroiled in controversy due to his use of social media.
On Thursday evening, Kane tweeted “Chris Bosh looked like a fairy going to the rim,” during Game 4 of the NBA Finals between the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs.
The comment was met with instant criticism, which Kane initially responded to — before speaking with Patrick Burke of the You Can Play organization.
Following that discussion, Kane tweeted the following statement.
“Just spoke with Patrick Burke + @YouCanPlayTeam and would like to sincerely apologize for a tweet where I used a homophobic term. I made a mistake and will learn from this.
I apologize to anyone I offended by my tweet and this will not happen again. #YouCanPlay”
For Burke’s take on the incident, here’s more from the Winnipeg Sun:
“Since this appears to be ‘controversial’ to some of Twitter, yes Fairy is a gay slur. Fun part is for those doubting me, I’m at the NIKE LGBT Sports Summit so I just took a survey of 30 gay athletes and they agree.
“That said, it isn’t always commonly known and I genuinely believe Evander didn’t know the implications for gay people. I know for a fact Evander wrote his own apology (not always true of these apologies) and wants to make amends for his mistake.”
This isn’t the first time Kane’s come under fire for his use of social media.
In February, he said a “good portion of the criticism” he faces is because he’s black, clarifying the majority of said criticism occurs on social media.
During the lockout, he came under fire for tweeting a picture of him talking on a money phone, in a shout out to boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)