Jun 14, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
The return of an AHL franchise to Utica, New York, was made official today.
The Vancouver Canucks’ minor-league affiliate, henceforth known as the Comets, will play at the Utica Memorial Auditorium beginning in the 2013-14 season.
“We look forward to a new AHL affiliation and the development of our prospects in Utica, New York,” said Canucks President and General Manager Mike Gillis in a release. “There was a strong interest in bringing an AHL team back to Utica and a real commitment to provide a positive environment for the growth and success of players in the Canucks system.”
It’s still not clear how long the Canucks will be tied to Utica. It’s widely believed Abbotsford — a suburb of Vancouver currently home to the Flames’ AHL affiliate (the Heat) — remains their preferred market for the long-term. On that note, it’s been speculated that the Flames and Canucks could simply end up swapping, assuming a deal that works for all parties, financially and logistically, can be reached.
For now, the Canucks are focusing on the positives of Utica.
“Utica is located in the heart of the American Hockey League, it’s within a couple hours driving distance to half a dozen teams,” said assistant GM Laurence Gilman. “From a developmental model, it’s a great location to place an American Hockey League team because your team will be playing games and sleeping at home more nights, which translates to more days practicing. That’s truly a win-win for everyone.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)