Jun 14, 2013, 11:53 PM EDT
To the amusement of many, Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster has put up a better fight toward the term “rebuild” than his team did during many nights of the 2013 season. He finally caved and threw the term out to The Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak on Friday.
“I’ve been to therapy since the end of the season and it is a rebuild,” Feaster said. “We are rebuilding.”
Well, that must be refreshing (if long-coming) for Flames fans. Some might see parallels to the trade deadline, as the Flames organization eventually embraced reality by trading big-money players Jarome Iginla and Jay Bouwmeester.
Some might grit their teeth because of today’s other revelation that the team won’t cash in any compliance buyouts,* yet with three first-round picks (including the sixth selection) in the 2013 NHL Draft, Calgary has a golden opportunity to make changes regardless of what label you want to use.
Here are a few fun alternate options, free of charge:
- Shake the Etch-a-Sketch
- Buy new groceries
- Hit the “Reset” button
* – Assuming Feaster doesn’t have a late “a-ha!” moment with that too, of course.
Feaster’s rebuilding denial
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)