Jun 14, 2013, 11:53 PM EDT
To the amusement of many, Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster has put up a better fight toward the term “rebuild” than his team did during many nights of the 2013 season. He finally caved and threw the term out to The Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak on Friday.
“I’ve been to therapy since the end of the season and it is a rebuild,” Feaster said. “We are rebuilding.”
Well, that must be refreshing (if long-coming) for Flames fans. Some might see parallels to the trade deadline, as the Flames organization eventually embraced reality by trading big-money players Jarome Iginla and Jay Bouwmeester.
Some might grit their teeth because of today’s other revelation that the team won’t cash in any compliance buyouts,* yet with three first-round picks (including the sixth selection) in the 2013 NHL Draft, Calgary has a golden opportunity to make changes regardless of what label you want to use.
Here are a few fun alternate options, free of charge:
- Shake the Etch-a-Sketch
- Buy new groceries
- Hit the “Reset” button
* – Assuming Feaster doesn’t have a late “a-ha!” moment with that too, of course.
Feaster’s rebuilding denial
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 19
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)