Jun 14, 2013, 11:53 PM EDT
To the amusement of many, Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster has put up a better fight toward the term “rebuild” than his team did during many nights of the 2013 season. He finally caved and threw the term out to The Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak on Friday.
“I’ve been to therapy since the end of the season and it is a rebuild,” Feaster said. “We are rebuilding.”
Well, that must be refreshing (if long-coming) for Flames fans. Some might see parallels to the trade deadline, as the Flames organization eventually embraced reality by trading big-money players Jarome Iginla and Jay Bouwmeester.
Some might grit their teeth because of today’s other revelation that the team won’t cash in any compliance buyouts,* yet with three first-round picks (including the sixth selection) in the 2013 NHL Draft, Calgary has a golden opportunity to make changes regardless of what label you want to use.
Here are a few fun alternate options, free of charge:
- Shake the Etch-a-Sketch
- Buy new groceries
- Hit the “Reset” button
* – Assuming Feaster doesn’t have a late “a-ha!” moment with that too, of course.
Feaster’s rebuilding denial
- Andre’s gigantic game: Caps push Rangers to the brink 33
- Quick strike: Lightning steal Game 3 from Habs with last-second goal 17
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 18
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 46
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (67)
- Lundqvist thinks Backstrom’s hit caused Rangers to lose focus before game-winning goal (63)