Jun 14, 2013, 11:53 PM EDT
To the amusement of many, Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster has put up a better fight toward the term “rebuild” than his team did during many nights of the 2013 season. He finally caved and threw the term out to The Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak on Friday.
“I’ve been to therapy since the end of the season and it is a rebuild,” Feaster said. “We are rebuilding.”
Well, that must be refreshing (if long-coming) for Flames fans. Some might see parallels to the trade deadline, as the Flames organization eventually embraced reality by trading big-money players Jarome Iginla and Jay Bouwmeester.
Some might grit their teeth because of today’s other revelation that the team won’t cash in any compliance buyouts,* yet with three first-round picks (including the sixth selection) in the 2013 NHL Draft, Calgary has a golden opportunity to make changes regardless of what label you want to use.
Here are a few fun alternate options, free of charge:
- Shake the Etch-a-Sketch
- Buy new groceries
- Hit the “Reset” button
* – Assuming Feaster doesn’t have a late “a-ha!” moment with that too, of course.
Feaster’s rebuilding denial
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)