Jun 14, 2013, 11:53 PM EDT
To the amusement of many, Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster has put up a better fight toward the term “rebuild” than his team did during many nights of the 2013 season. He finally caved and threw the term out to The Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak on Friday.
“I’ve been to therapy since the end of the season and it is a rebuild,” Feaster said. “We are rebuilding.”
Well, that must be refreshing (if long-coming) for Flames fans. Some might see parallels to the trade deadline, as the Flames organization eventually embraced reality by trading big-money players Jarome Iginla and Jay Bouwmeester.
Some might grit their teeth because of today’s other revelation that the team won’t cash in any compliance buyouts,* yet with three first-round picks (including the sixth selection) in the 2013 NHL Draft, Calgary has a golden opportunity to make changes regardless of what label you want to use.
Here are a few fun alternate options, free of charge:
- Shake the Etch-a-Sketch
- Buy new groceries
- Hit the “Reset” button
* – Assuming Feaster doesn’t have a late “a-ha!” moment with that too, of course.
Feaster’s rebuilding denial
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)