Jun 14, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
The Ontario Hockey League’s Sarnia Sting made a big hire on Friday, naming former NHLer Trevor Letowski as its new head coach.
Letowski, 36, only recently wrapped a playing career that included nine years with the Coyotes, Canucks, Blue Jackets and Hurricanes. Following his time in the NHL, he spent two seasons playing with Barys Astana of the KHL, calling it quits following the 2009-10 season.
A former Sting standout himself — there’s a banner of him hanging at Sarnia’s arena — Letowski will take over the gig from recently-fired head coach and GM Jacques Beaulieu, father of Montreal Canadians prospect Nathan Beaulieu.
The dismissal, announced on May 30, came a month after Beaulieu was charged with two counts of assault.
“The reasons for his dismissal are not related to the on ice performance of our hockey club,” said co-owner Rob Ciccarelli in a release. “As per the advice of our lawyers we cannot comment any further at this time.”
Letowski has been an assistant with Sarnia since the 2010-11 season, and briefly served as the head coach when Dave McQueen was fired in Feb. 2011.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)