Jun 14, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
The Ontario Hockey League’s Sarnia Sting made a big hire on Friday, naming former NHLer Trevor Letowski as its new head coach.
Letowski, 36, only recently wrapped a playing career that included nine years with the Coyotes, Canucks, Blue Jackets and Hurricanes. Following his time in the NHL, he spent two seasons playing with Barys Astana of the KHL, calling it quits following the 2009-10 season.
A former Sting standout himself — there’s a banner of him hanging at Sarnia’s arena — Letowski will take over the gig from recently-fired head coach and GM Jacques Beaulieu, father of Montreal Canadians prospect Nathan Beaulieu.
The dismissal, announced on May 30, came a month after Beaulieu was charged with two counts of assault.
“The reasons for his dismissal are not related to the on ice performance of our hockey club,” said co-owner Rob Ciccarelli in a release. “As per the advice of our lawyers we cannot comment any further at this time.”
Letowski has been an assistant with Sarnia since the 2010-11 season, and briefly served as the head coach when Dave McQueen was fired in Feb. 2011.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)