Jun 14, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
The Ontario Hockey League’s Sarnia Sting made a big hire on Friday, naming former NHLer Trevor Letowski as its new head coach.
Letowski, 36, only recently wrapped a playing career that included nine years with the Coyotes, Canucks, Blue Jackets and Hurricanes. Following his time in the NHL, he spent two seasons playing with Barys Astana of the KHL, calling it quits following the 2009-10 season.
A former Sting standout himself — there’s a banner of him hanging at Sarnia’s arena — Letowski will take over the gig from recently-fired head coach and GM Jacques Beaulieu, father of Montreal Canadians prospect Nathan Beaulieu.
The dismissal, announced on May 30, came a month after Beaulieu was charged with two counts of assault.
“The reasons for his dismissal are not related to the on ice performance of our hockey club,” said co-owner Rob Ciccarelli in a release. “As per the advice of our lawyers we cannot comment any further at this time.”
Letowski has been an assistant with Sarnia since the 2010-11 season, and briefly served as the head coach when Dave McQueen was fired in Feb. 2011.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)