Jun 14, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
The Ontario Hockey League’s Sarnia Sting made a big hire on Friday, naming former NHLer Trevor Letowski as its new head coach.
Letowski, 36, only recently wrapped a playing career that included nine years with the Coyotes, Canucks, Blue Jackets and Hurricanes. Following his time in the NHL, he spent two seasons playing with Barys Astana of the KHL, calling it quits following the 2009-10 season.
A former Sting standout himself — there’s a banner of him hanging at Sarnia’s arena — Letowski will take over the gig from recently-fired head coach and GM Jacques Beaulieu, father of Montreal Canadians prospect Nathan Beaulieu.
The dismissal, announced on May 30, came a month after Beaulieu was charged with two counts of assault.
“The reasons for his dismissal are not related to the on ice performance of our hockey club,” said co-owner Rob Ciccarelli in a release. “As per the advice of our lawyers we cannot comment any further at this time.”
Letowski has been an assistant with Sarnia since the 2010-11 season, and briefly served as the head coach when Dave McQueen was fired in Feb. 2011.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 0
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 4
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 12
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 23
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 31
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 102
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)