Jun 14, 2013, 6:38 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators could very well take a big step forward with an estimated $22 million in cap space this offseason, but they must answer some questions first. The most important one: will their captain Daniel Alfredsson be back?
That decision is the 40-year-old winger’s to make. After answering some questions about winning the 2012-13 Mark Messier Leadership Award on Friday, Alfredsson admitted that he’s at least a few weeks away from starting the decision-making process to either retire or play another season.
“It hasn’t really started yet, to be honest,” Alfredsson said.
Alfredsson had a respectable regular season (10 goals and 26 points in 47 games) before putting together an impressive point-per-game pace of 10 points in 10 postseason contests.
That kind of production shows that he could very well have more to offer, but with 1,178 regular season contests on his resume, he might decide it’s time to hang up his skates.
We’ll see if he makes that call by the time the free agent period begins or if he mulls it over deeper into the summer.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 0
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 47
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 5
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 39
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)