Jun 14, 2013, 6:38 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators could very well take a big step forward with an estimated $22 million in cap space this offseason, but they must answer some questions first. The most important one: will their captain Daniel Alfredsson be back?
That decision is the 40-year-old winger’s to make. After answering some questions about winning the 2012-13 Mark Messier Leadership Award on Friday, Alfredsson admitted that he’s at least a few weeks away from starting the decision-making process to either retire or play another season.
“It hasn’t really started yet, to be honest,” Alfredsson said.
Alfredsson had a respectable regular season (10 goals and 26 points in 47 games) before putting together an impressive point-per-game pace of 10 points in 10 postseason contests.
That kind of production shows that he could very well have more to offer, but with 1,178 regular season contests on his resume, he might decide it’s time to hang up his skates.
We’ll see if he makes that call by the time the free agent period begins or if he mulls it over deeper into the summer.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)