Jun 14, 2013, 6:38 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators could very well take a big step forward with an estimated $22 million in cap space this offseason, but they must answer some questions first. The most important one: will their captain Daniel Alfredsson be back?
That decision is the 40-year-old winger’s to make. After answering some questions about winning the 2012-13 Mark Messier Leadership Award on Friday, Alfredsson admitted that he’s at least a few weeks away from starting the decision-making process to either retire or play another season.
“It hasn’t really started yet, to be honest,” Alfredsson said.
Alfredsson had a respectable regular season (10 goals and 26 points in 47 games) before putting together an impressive point-per-game pace of 10 points in 10 postseason contests.
That kind of production shows that he could very well have more to offer, but with 1,178 regular season contests on his resume, he might decide it’s time to hang up his skates.
We’ll see if he makes that call by the time the free agent period begins or if he mulls it over deeper into the summer.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)