Jun 14, 2013, 6:38 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators could very well take a big step forward with an estimated $22 million in cap space this offseason, but they must answer some questions first. The most important one: will their captain Daniel Alfredsson be back?
That decision is the 40-year-old winger’s to make. After answering some questions about winning the 2012-13 Mark Messier Leadership Award on Friday, Alfredsson admitted that he’s at least a few weeks away from starting the decision-making process to either retire or play another season.
“It hasn’t really started yet, to be honest,” Alfredsson said.
Alfredsson had a respectable regular season (10 goals and 26 points in 47 games) before putting together an impressive point-per-game pace of 10 points in 10 postseason contests.
That kind of production shows that he could very well have more to offer, but with 1,178 regular season contests on his resume, he might decide it’s time to hang up his skates.
We’ll see if he makes that call by the time the free agent period begins or if he mulls it over deeper into the summer.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)