Jun 13, 2013, 12:37 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks are set to enter a third OT period in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final. More than a few bleary-eyed observers will note that this contest could’ve been over much sooner.
As you can see, the Bruins in particular put together quite a few chances from the first OT:
The moment that really challenged the heart health of hockey fans came in the waning moments of double-OT, as Zdeno Chara‘s shot was deflected by Jaromir Jagr and barely missed hitting the net, clanging the post instead.
All of these highlights make it seem like the Bruins have dominated the overtime in particular, but Chicago has been competitive and sometimes dominant. In fact, the Blackhawks carried a 57-47 shot advantage into triple OT and that ignores all the attempts that missed the net.
Ultimately, missed opportunities might just haunt whichever team goes this deep into the night without a win.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)