Jun 13, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Philadelphia couldn’t wait until the start of the free agent period to get offensive defenseman Mark Streit.
The Flyers turned over prospect Shane Harper and a 2014 fourth-round draft pick to the New York Islanders to get the rights to Streit so that they could negotiate with him before anyone else.
“It’s an exciting time for me,” Streit told CSN Philly. “Obviously I’m excited to get traded to Philadelphia. I’m not sure what’s going to happen the next few weeks — or days — it’s part of my agent’s job to work that out with Paul, but Philly has an unbelievable team.
“It’s a great franchise and a great city and it’s a hockey town for sure. The fans there are great and that’s why I always liked playing in Philly. The team is really good. It’s well-structured. It’s young and fast and it would be a great honor to play for the Flyers.”
Streit is 35 years old, but he’s still a serious offensive threat and a great weapon to have with the man advantage. He’s also got plenty of leadership experience after serving as the captain of the young Islanders.
Streit’s agent, Pat Brisson, hopes to get something worked out with the Flyers before July.
“I’m pretty confident,” Streit said of his chances of being signed by Philadelphia. “I think that maybe they need a few days or weeks, but I’m pretty positive. It’d be awesome to play for the Flyers.”
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)