Jun 13, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Philadelphia couldn’t wait until the start of the free agent period to get offensive defenseman Mark Streit.
The Flyers turned over prospect Shane Harper and a 2014 fourth-round draft pick to the New York Islanders to get the rights to Streit so that they could negotiate with him before anyone else.
“It’s an exciting time for me,” Streit told CSN Philly. “Obviously I’m excited to get traded to Philadelphia. I’m not sure what’s going to happen the next few weeks — or days — it’s part of my agent’s job to work that out with Paul, but Philly has an unbelievable team.
“It’s a great franchise and a great city and it’s a hockey town for sure. The fans there are great and that’s why I always liked playing in Philly. The team is really good. It’s well-structured. It’s young and fast and it would be a great honor to play for the Flyers.”
Streit is 35 years old, but he’s still a serious offensive threat and a great weapon to have with the man advantage. He’s also got plenty of leadership experience after serving as the captain of the young Islanders.
Streit’s agent, Pat Brisson, hopes to get something worked out with the Flyers before July.
“I’m pretty confident,” Streit said of his chances of being signed by Philadelphia. “I think that maybe they need a few days or weeks, but I’m pretty positive. It’d be awesome to play for the Flyers.”
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)