Jun 13, 2013, 9:01 AM EST
Philadelphia couldn’t wait until the start of the free agent period to get offensive defenseman Mark Streit.
The Flyers turned over prospect Shane Harper and a 2014 fourth-round draft pick to the New York Islanders to get the rights to Streit so that they could negotiate with him before anyone else.
“It’s an exciting time for me,” Streit told CSN Philly. “Obviously I’m excited to get traded to Philadelphia. I’m not sure what’s going to happen the next few weeks — or days — it’s part of my agent’s job to work that out with Paul, but Philly has an unbelievable team.
“It’s a great franchise and a great city and it’s a hockey town for sure. The fans there are great and that’s why I always liked playing in Philly. The team is really good. It’s well-structured. It’s young and fast and it would be a great honor to play for the Flyers.”
Streit is 35 years old, but he’s still a serious offensive threat and a great weapon to have with the man advantage. He’s also got plenty of leadership experience after serving as the captain of the young Islanders.
Streit’s agent, Pat Brisson, hopes to get something worked out with the Flyers before July.
“I’m pretty confident,” Streit said of his chances of being signed by Philadelphia. “I think that maybe they need a few days or weeks, but I’m pretty positive. It’d be awesome to play for the Flyers.”
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11