Jun 13, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
Could the Colorado Avalanche send the first overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft to the Buffalo Sabres? The two sides have at the very least talked about it, according to Sabres director of amateur scouting Kevin Devine.
“We have had conversations with Colorado… I think it’s how far they want to move back,” Devine told WGR 550. “And you take the situation in Colorado and where there’s a new regime in there with Joe Sakic and Patrick Roy.
“I don’t think Patrick came in there with the idea of a long rebuild. So I think they might be willing to listen to a few things.”
Devine added that he thinks the Avalanche are engaged in internal meetings this week and that talks will resume “at some point.”
Although discussing a trade and actually pulling the trigger on one are two very different things, this isn’t out of the realm of possibilities. After all, new Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy did raise the possibility of Colorado moving the pick.
The Sabres currently control the eighth and 16th overall picks. The 2013 NHL Entry Draft is believed to be unusually deep, so those selections could turn into a pair of very good players.
Meanwhile, the team that controls the top pick will get to choose between defenseman Seth Jones and forwards Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin. Each of those three has the potential to develop into the kind of guy you can build a franchise around.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 17
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)