Jun 13, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
Malkin’s current deal runs through the 2013-14 campaign, which means he’s now under the Penguins’ control until the summer of 2022. Malkin will come with a $9.5 million annual cap hit, which is an increase from his current $8.7 million.
It’s also a higher cap hit than Crosby comes with, but for the next six seasons, Crosby will actually make more than Malkin. The difference is that Crosby’s deal was signed during the old CBA, so it could be 12 years long and heavily frontloaded in the interest of keeping the overall cap hit down.
Regardless, with this deal in place the Penguins have guaranteed that they will control two of the most gifted forwards in the NHL through most — if not all — of their careers. At the same time, their contracts will continue to represent a sizable portion of Pittsburgh’s cap room. By the standards of the 2013-14 ceiling, they would account for 28.3% of the Penguins’ available space.
Malkin won the Art Ross and Hart Trophies as well as the Ted Lindsay Award in 2012. He has 217 goals and 560 points in 458 career games.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
The Penguins are a win now team coming off of a quick first round exit.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:55 PM EDT
Can they stay healthy?
Aug 27, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
“I’m fully aware that at some point in time we may have to address that position.”
Aug 27, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
At which time he’ll be reevaluated.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
The two have a bit of a history, as you may recall…
Aug 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
It’s a benchmark he’s never hit before.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
The 21-year-old looks like he’ll be counted upon heavily.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:48 AM EDT
For a border incident that occurred in mid-June.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
A first round exit has led to a busy summer.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Development coach Patrick Rissmiller is among New Jersey’s latest additions.
Aug 26, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
His conditioning comes on the ice, not in the weight room.
Aug 26, 2015, 6:40 PM EDT
Two terrible seasons didn’t dissuade fans expecting brighter days ahead.
Aug 26, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT
Philadelphia has a great core, but does it have the depth?
Aug 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Tanking isn’t likely, yet may it be wise?
Aug 26, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
It would be wise to stick to Ron Hextall’s plan, but it’s not exactly Philly’s style.
Aug 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
With big raises come big expectations.
Aug 26, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Still not totally closing the door.
Aug 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
He’s part of Philadelphia’s wave of impressive young defensemen.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:41 AM EDT
Can he impress in training camp?
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 66
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (66)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)