Jun 13, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
Malkin’s current deal runs through the 2013-14 campaign, which means he’s now under the Penguins’ control until the summer of 2022. Malkin will come with a $9.5 million annual cap hit, which is an increase from his current $8.7 million.
It’s also a higher cap hit than Crosby comes with, but for the next six seasons, Crosby will actually make more than Malkin. The difference is that Crosby’s deal was signed during the old CBA, so it could be 12 years long and heavily frontloaded in the interest of keeping the overall cap hit down.
Regardless, with this deal in place the Penguins have guaranteed that they will control two of the most gifted forwards in the NHL through most — if not all — of their careers. At the same time, their contracts will continue to represent a sizable portion of Pittsburgh’s cap room. By the standards of the 2013-14 ceiling, they would account for 28.3% of the Penguins’ available space.
Malkin won the Art Ross and Hart Trophies as well as the Ted Lindsay Award in 2012. He has 217 goals and 560 points in 458 career games.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)