Jun 13, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
Malkin’s current deal runs through the 2013-14 campaign, which means he’s now under the Penguins’ control until the summer of 2022. Malkin will come with a $9.5 million annual cap hit, which is an increase from his current $8.7 million.
It’s also a higher cap hit than Crosby comes with, but for the next six seasons, Crosby will actually make more than Malkin. The difference is that Crosby’s deal was signed during the old CBA, so it could be 12 years long and heavily frontloaded in the interest of keeping the overall cap hit down.
Regardless, with this deal in place the Penguins have guaranteed that they will control two of the most gifted forwards in the NHL through most — if not all — of their careers. At the same time, their contracts will continue to represent a sizable portion of Pittsburgh’s cap room. By the standards of the 2013-14 ceiling, they would account for 28.3% of the Penguins’ available space.
Malkin won the Art Ross and Hart Trophies as well as the Ted Lindsay Award in 2012. He has 217 goals and 560 points in 458 career games.
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)