Jun 13, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT
Reports surfaced today on Oilers prospect Kristians Pelss saying he’s gone missing and may have drowned in his home country of Latvia.
While there’s no confirmation on what, if anything, has happened to him, the Edmonton Oilers released a statement acknowledging the reports.
The Edmonton Oilers organization, including the Edmonton Oil Kings, Oklahoma City Barons and affiliate Stockton Thunder, is aware of the reports regarding Kristians Pelss going missing while visiting Riga, Latvia, this week. There has been contradictory information reported, at times, and we are trying to confirm the facts. Once we are able to do that, we will be able to offer further comment. At this time, our thoughts and prayers are with the Pelss family. Kristians spent two years with the Oil Kings before beginning his pro career in the Oilers system, splitting last season between the Barons and the Thunder.
It’s distressing to hear any reports like those about Pelss especially given the other sad news today concerning a Stars prospect who passed away. Pelss made news earlier this season after receiving a 21-game suspension in the ECHL.
We’ll keep you updated on Pelss’ story as information is made available.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 22
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17