Jun 13, 2013, 11:31 AM EST
The Montreal Canadiens have signed defenseman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract extension, the club announced on Thursday.
“We are happy to have come to an agreement with Davis on a two-year contract,” GM Marc Bergevin said in a statement. “He brings experience and most importantly depth to our group of defensemen.”
According to La Presse, the deal is for $1.275 million, with $625,000 coming in year one and $650,000 in year two. Drewiske also gets a one-way deal.
Drewiske, 28, came to Montreal from Los Angeles last season at the trade deadline and was promptly thrown into action when Alexei Emelin went down with a season-ending knee injury.
The former King appeared in nine games with the Habs, scoring 1G-2A while averaging close to 17 minutes per game.
It’ll be interesting to see where Drewiske fits on a loaded Montreal blueline.
With the move, the club now has nine defensemen under contract for next season: Andrei Markov, P.K. Subban, Josh Gorges, Tomas Kaberle, Francis Bouillon, Raphael Diaz, Jarred Tinordi, Drewiske and Emelin.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)