Jun 13, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
It might seem like longer at this point, but it was just two years ago that forward Mike Richards was the captain of the Flyers. He had inked a 12-year deal with the club and probably assumed that he’d spend his entire career in Philadelphia.
That didn’t happen and Richards was forced to adjust. Of course, that’s a lot easier when you win the Stanley Cup in your first season with the new club, but that doesn’t mean that the adjustment period ended with the 2012-13 campaign.
“I think you feel more comfortable your second year,” Richards told LA Kings Insider. “Especially after you win a championship, and more so after the first couple months, you start feeling more comfortable and confident to say things in the dressing room.
“Maybe your first season you’re a little bit tentative to step up in different ways, but I think this year with pretty much the same group as we had last year, I think everybody stepped up in different ways when things needed to be said.”
The Los Angeles Kings weren’t able to successfully defend their championship, but they fought all the way to the Western Conference finals. Richards played a big role in their 2013 postseason run with three goals and 12 points in 15 games.
Although there will probably be some adjustments over the summer, the core of the Kings is likely to stay intact. That puts them in a good position to make another serious push for the Stanley Cup in 2013-2014.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:34 PM EDT
Oct 31, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
Folks continue to rally around Mr. Hockey.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
What is going on with the defending champs?
Oct 31, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
He’s on the left in that photo. Doing what his old man used to do.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
Has been on quite a roll down in Utica.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Meanwhile, sounds like Carter Ashton makes his season debut.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The hit occurred seconds before Vancouver scored.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Oct. 8.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Could play Saturday against Washington.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
At the same time, Claude Julien admits the B’s “are still trying to find that confidence level that comes with winning on a regular basis.”
Oct 31, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
“I just haven’t come to that decision yet.”
Oct 31, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
When Philly takes on the Panthers in Florida.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Veteran forward is hurt again.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
On a professional tryout contract.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Former 13th overall pick doesn’t want to comment on trade rumors.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Club is dealing with a team-wide bacterial infection.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“He was the bettor. He bet on football games.” And that, according to Steve Bartlett, is all he did.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
We’d say we were surprised, but we totally thought this could happen.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Hurricanes forward was benched Tuesday in Vancouver.
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 9
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)