Jun 13, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
It might seem like longer at this point, but it was just two years ago that forward Mike Richards was the captain of the Flyers. He had inked a 12-year deal with the club and probably assumed that he’d spend his entire career in Philadelphia.
That didn’t happen and Richards was forced to adjust. Of course, that’s a lot easier when you win the Stanley Cup in your first season with the new club, but that doesn’t mean that the adjustment period ended with the 2012-13 campaign.
“I think you feel more comfortable your second year,” Richards told LA Kings Insider. “Especially after you win a championship, and more so after the first couple months, you start feeling more comfortable and confident to say things in the dressing room.
“Maybe your first season you’re a little bit tentative to step up in different ways, but I think this year with pretty much the same group as we had last year, I think everybody stepped up in different ways when things needed to be said.”
The Los Angeles Kings weren’t able to successfully defend their championship, but they fought all the way to the Western Conference finals. Richards played a big role in their 2013 postseason run with three goals and 12 points in 15 games.
Although there will probably be some adjustments over the summer, the core of the Kings is likely to stay intact. That puts them in a good position to make another serious push for the Stanley Cup in 2013-2014.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)