Jun 13, 2013, 8:03 AM EST
It might seem like longer at this point, but it was just two years ago that forward Mike Richards was the captain of the Flyers. He had inked a 12-year deal with the club and probably assumed that he’d spend his entire career in Philadelphia.
That didn’t happen and Richards was forced to adjust. Of course, that’s a lot easier when you win the Stanley Cup in your first season with the new club, but that doesn’t mean that the adjustment period ended with the 2012-13 campaign.
“I think you feel more comfortable your second year,” Richards told LA Kings Insider. “Especially after you win a championship, and more so after the first couple months, you start feeling more comfortable and confident to say things in the dressing room.
“Maybe your first season you’re a little bit tentative to step up in different ways, but I think this year with pretty much the same group as we had last year, I think everybody stepped up in different ways when things needed to be said.”
The Los Angeles Kings weren’t able to successfully defend their championship, but they fought all the way to the Western Conference finals. Richards played a big role in their 2013 postseason run with three goals and 12 points in 15 games.
Although there will probably be some adjustments over the summer, the core of the Kings is likely to stay intact. That puts them in a good position to make another serious push for the Stanley Cup in 2013-2014.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)